No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +4.8 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Chubba

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » IT's etc
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author IT's etc
slice
Admiral

Posted: 2003-09-05 08:29   
Ships shouldnt be able to out-turn missiles, they have far greater mass yet the tiny missiles cannot hit cos there turning arc is to large. I understand that unmissing IT's is a bit extreme but perhaps an upgrade to point defence would be better than IT's/AR's slewing around like vast space cows

jus' my 2 cents

MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2003-09-05 13:36   
They're not accurate enough now I agree..

Too accurate before, not accurate enough now.

Axianda The Royal
Fleet Admiral
Terra Squadron

Posted: 2003-09-05 14:43   
IT's Accurate enough WAY to low on damage and ammo.

its a hvy weapon so its a little slower than its cousin the AR.

- Axi

Roger
Fleet Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2003-09-05 17:27   
I agree. It's realy stupid that cruser can outmanuver a freaking missile. There are more realistic ways to solve the ballance issue.

IT missiles were not balanced for a long time. Hulls changed, missiles got nerfed and their damage, quantity and reload stayed prety much the same. IF missiles were returned to their beta stats they would probably be BALLANCED considering flux scouts, torpedoes tracking and other nasty things like luth destroyers. If IT missiles actualy hit something besides stations and dreads, I bet there would be no luth destroyer ballance issue.

Here is a summary of current missile effectivness:

Completly usless.

Exceptions:
1) Masochists.
2) Green people.
3) "Special" people.
4) Solo bombing runs on unshielded planets.

I would sugest to increase IT turning rate to the point where frigate could barely dodge them. (Thouse ships are a wee bit too weak even for current crapy damage.)

[ This Message was edited by: Roger on 2003-09-05 17:30 ]

Tiggy
Midshipman
Terra Squadron

Posted: 2003-09-05 20:18   
I would like to agree with all the statements made here. I mean, IT's cost about the same as torpedo launchers and take the same slot. More damage (Slightly lower than a torp I think.) More accuracy (NOTHING should outmaneuver a missile, unless we can implement some countermeasures.) and more ammo, along the lines of 10.

Email Tiggy
Tiffy Rando
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2003-09-05 20:55   
Look, either upgrade the missile accuracy, and add some new PD devices.. or make new missile models, they all are too small, and all look the same.

Either choice would be welcome... Or, you could just leave it the way it is, which would be fine by me

Tiffy Rando
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2003-09-05 20:57   
Oh, hey as for some new countermeasures... just look at the stuff that already exists in real life:

Chaff pods

Decoy Flares

Super high speed machine guns

Anti-missile Missiles

DarkestVorlon
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2003-09-05 21:03   
Wait a minute, these missiles REGARDLESS of mass have to deal with INERTIA. Inertia is NOT only determined by mass, but also speed of direction. Lets say 1GU/s is equal to 1 KM/S, a Missile moving at 25-35 KM/s is going to have a MASSIVE turning arc, as it has no drag coeficient from a atmosphere to aid its directional change, it has to change its direction and apply thrust, even then it cant just pull a 90 degree turn and be set, it has to compensate for its drift. Unless IT's have a magical inertialess drive (wich large ships would have first so I know they dont exist in DS) IT's have accurate manuverability. I do agree damage is rather paltry for a so called "Heavy weapon" They barely even scare a Kluth strike group, the one faction that should be terrified of IT's due to their lower armor resilience.
Former Member of Agents.
Former Member of NX.
Founding and former member of KIGR.

Email DarkestVorlon
MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2003-09-05 21:33   
IT's and AR's used to be totally accurate. If you fired one, it was either gonna hit it's target or hit something in the way. It wasn't gonna miss anything other than a full speed scout (and that's maybe).

Then they were changed to what we have now. My grandmother can outmaneuver one with her walker.

Basically, anyone who was around before the change thinks they're inaccurate. And I agree with them. But...making them too accurate would be worse than now, now that we have ships like missile dreads and modifyable weapons.

They need a slight increase in their turn arc I think. Not a lot.

g0ds s0ldier
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2003-09-05 21:41   
They are accurate enuff ATM...maybe just larger load per-slot...

Tbone
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2003-09-05 22:14   
IT Missiles need a boost in damage, and maybe one in accuracy.

The only ships that can dodge missiles for a long while are the frigates and scouts. Destroyers can dodge them but sooner or later there will be to many missiles in the air for them to dodge them all. Cruisers can only dodge missiles if they are moving at high speed and turn away from them at the proper moment.

Email Tbone
DOM700 [-IMO-]
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2003-09-06 01:25   
Quote:

On 2003-09-05 17:27, Roger wrote:
4) Solo bombing runs on unshielded planets.

How could you find out that?! I only did it when noone was around
Btw PCMs count as missiles for me and they hurt

Never forget what you fight for
I have earned my betatester badge for being part of the open beta

Email DOM700 [-IMO-]   Goto the website of DOM700 [-IMO-]
slice
Admiral

Posted: 2003-09-06 12:05   
Quote:

On 2003-09-05 21:03, DarkestVorlon wrote:
Wait a minute, these missiles REGARDLESS of mass have to deal with INERTIA. Inertia is NOT only determined by mass, but also speed of direction. Lets say 1GU/s is equal to 1 KM/S, a Missile moving at 25-35 KM/s is going to have a MASSIVE turning arc, as it has no drag coeficient from a atmosphere to aid its directional change, it has to change its direction and apply thrust, even then it cant just pull a 90 degree turn and be set, it has to compensate for its drift. Unless IT's have a magical inertialess drive (wich large ships would have first so I know they dont exist in DS) IT's have accurate manuverability. I do agree damage is rather paltry for a so called "Heavy weapon" They barely even scare a Kluth strike group, the one faction that should be terrified of IT's due to their lower armor resilience.

Yes but the mass difference between even a scout and a IT more than accounts for the speed, and on the inertialess drive topic all ds ships must have something along those lines or the jump to light speed would kill everyone on board. Unless they have some MIGHTY acceleration couches

Tiffy Rando
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2003-09-06 19:44   
Or they could all be suspended in silica gel.... but that would mess up all of UGTO's hot leather uniforms

Tiggy
Midshipman
Terra Squadron

Posted: 2003-09-06 21:23   
Quote:

On 2003-09-05 20:57, -Kat-[2RA] wrote:
Oh, hey as for some new countermeasures... just look at the stuff that already exists in real life:

Chaff pods

Decoy Flares

Super high speed machine guns

Anti-missile Missiles

The only thing close to a "high speed machine gun" would be flak, and that ISNT fast. Other than that, high speed weapons are very ineffective against missiles; most anti-missile guns fire a round every two seconds; because its more effective than spitting out rounds without any hits.

Email Tiggy
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.034864 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR