No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +3.5 Days

Search

Anniversaries

19th - Server

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Sol System Planets
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Sol System Planets
OFP
Cadet

Posted: 2003-09-02 21:22   
Fact vs fiction and fact is way better then fiction. I would like to these facts in our little game. I love details in a game.
The planets I find kinda odd in our game compared to the real thing. Not to mention the Jovian System we also have in Sol...

• Mercury --> Closest to sun and second smallest planet, 40% percent smaller then earthHas no moons in orbit. Has no rotation of planet. One side faces the sun always. I don't see anything else we don't see in darksapce about this planet... http://www.solarviews.com/eng/mercury.htm

• Venus --> Rotates East - West. Not like Earth West - East. Also the rotation on Venus is very, very, slow. It would take 243 days to go by in order for one Venus rotation. So it's very slow, wouldn't you say so? It is also considered earth's twin planet in size & mass. Now we can colonize Venus but not a Inferno planets. Well Venus is a inferno planet. It's whole surface is constantly being redone entire over again and again. In other words Venus surface is very new and only has very few meteor craters. At least 85% of the Venusian surface is covered with volcanic rock. Hugh lava flows, extending for hundreds of kilometers, have flooded the lowlands creating vast plains. That makes it a HOT place and normal tempertures is enough to melt lead. Temperature of about 482° C (900° F... http://www.solarviews.com/eng/venus.htm

• mars --> The red planet of sol. Has 2 small moons in orbit around it Deimos & Phobos. I can't see anything else that we don't see in darkspace from this planet... http://www.solarviews.com/eng/mars.htm

• Asteroid Belt Just beyond Mars and between Jupiter lies the belt. Spacecraft that have flown through the asteroid belt have found that the belt is really quite empty and that asteroids are separated by very large distances... http://www.solarviews.com/eng/asteroid.htm

• Jupiter --> We all know this largest planet in sol system. Has 16 official and another 12 unofficial moons. This Gas gaint is also know as the Jovian System with so many satillites. Has 5 set of rings around planet. Very, very large planet. Has more mass then all planets put together, dam big... http://www.solarviews.com/eng/jupiter.htm

• Saturn --> Second largest and a Gas gaint. Has 18 named official moons and another dozen or so more moons unofficialy. It could have the largest moon or sattilite system in the sol system. With a total of 30 moons or more. Has a wonderful ring system. Plus 2 moons act as shepards in the ring system... http://www.solarviews.com/eng/saturn.htm

• Uranus --> Another gas gaint also. Is the third largest in the solar system. Has at least 22 moons, 9 set of rings around planet. Uranus is distinguished by the fact that it is tipped on its side. We can't colonize Jupiter or Saturn but we can Neptune and Uranus? Which are Gas gaints in our system. Seems rather strange don't you think?.. http://www.solarviews.com/eng/uranus.htm

• Neptune --> Gas gaint planet. Rotates West - East. Has 8 Moons, has a set of 4 rings which are narrow and very faint. If Neptune were hollow, it could contain nearly 60 Earths. Neptune orbits the Sun every 165 years. So the size is rather large... http://www.solarviews.com/eng/neptune.htm

• Pluto --> The smallest planet in the sol system. Also the farthest out from the star. Has 1 moon, Charon. Pluto rotates with its poles almost in its orbital plane. Pluto's rotational axis is tipped 122 degrees... http://www.solarviews.com/eng/pluto.htm

• Kuiper Belt & Oort Cloud ---> Just beyond Neptune & in around the planet Pluto lies the Kuiper belt. where returning comets come from. Like comet Halley for instance. there is another belt or cloud but it is fatherest out... http://www.solarviews.com/eng/kuiper.htm
    On the edge of Sol system way beyond the planet Pluto lies the Oort cloud. If a comet comes from there, like comet hale-Bopp it is a one time vistor. Never to come back again, unless it is caught by another planets gravity's tug. These belts are very vast and sparce, but they are there... htttp://www.solarviews.com/eng/oort.htm

Now with all this fact finding data. Could a MV map be made for this and the new patch? I feel as if we are missing out on a much bigger system then we know about. Would feel great to be flying around a true sol system that we do know for sure what is there. Well most of it I should say

Plus I also remember that a Tenth Planet maybe official in the future. Anotehr Icey world farther out. I can't remember the name of it. But it out there some where. It might be Quaoar?

http://www.solarviews.com/cap/comet/quaoar1.htm The diameter of Quaoar is about 800 miles (1300 kilometers). It is the farthest object in the solar system ever to be resolved by a telescope. Quaoar is about 4 billion miles (6.5 billion kilometers) from Earth, more than 1 billion miles farther than Pluto.

Don't forget about the eliptic orbit's around the star. Which we don't have unless you make it orbit another body in the system for map makers. I think Faustus is doing this in the next patch release?

You might ahve noticed I did not mention Earth and Luna. I think those are far the best representations of a planet. Didn't think they need any improvements at all. Well maybe farther out from earth. They aren't that close to it but it wouldn't hurt any...

If anyone has something to add please do so.

[ This Message was edited by: theG on 2003-09-02 21:31 ]

[ This Message was edited by: theG on 2003-09-02 21:36 ]

Tbone
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2003-09-02 21:55   
Thats all good, except for one thing. Venus, as was stated in the Retouched History in the Universe Today forum, was terraformed so it could support human life, as was Mars I believe. So thats why we can colonize it and not Inferno planets.

Fleet Admiral Tbone
Commander of the NSS Red Lobster

[ This Message was edited by: Tbone [NSS Pandora's Box] on 2003-09-02 21:57 ]

Email Tbone
Lith Ragond
Cadet
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2003-09-02 21:55   
Quote:
Now we can colonize Venus but not a Inferno planets. Well Venus is a inferno planet.

Quote:
January 4, 2119 CE: Ragnarock misses the Earth by 22,000 km. It’s vector sufficiently altered by the sacrifice of the Guardian and her crew, she angles past the Earth, and heads straight towards Venus. Upon reaching the shrouded planet, it skips right through the edge of Venus’s atmosphere. Its size combined with its unusually high-density drags a significant quantity of Venus’s atmosphere away from the planet, reducing the overall pressure to just three atmospheres. Ragnarock passes Venus, and dives straight into Sol. It is thereafter dubbed Prometheus.

Quote:
2121 CE: The GCC decides to use Venus as a test bed for environmental engineering experiments. They reason that if they can make Venus habitable, then they can apply those same technologies and principles towards repair Earth’s biosphere. The Eden project is launched on July 12, 2121.

Quote:
2134 CE: After years of expensive and exhaustive research, the Eden Project successfully makes a dent in Venus’s inhospitable environment. While it is a very small step, it is definite progress.

Quote:
2198 CE: After 77 years of continual work, Project Eden is declared a success. While Venus is nowhere near as pastoral as the project’s namesake, it is fully habitable by human life without environmental support domes. A massive effort to colonize Venus is begun. Large numbers of population leave Earth for the more habitable Venus in a mass exodus. The GCC relocates their headquarters to Venus, and beings an intensified effort to repair Earth.

i love the history

Tbone
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2003-09-02 21:58   
Everything else is fine though G

Email Tbone
OFP
Cadet

Posted: 2003-09-02 22:56   
BUT WE STILL CAN'T colonize Infero's but we can colonize venus!

WTF?

It still stands.... We shoudl be able to colonize infero's since we did venus!..

I am trying to make a Real life Map now...

Koda
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2003-09-02 23:37   
Then there should be a Terriform Class ship...???

II
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2003-09-03 00:08   
I'd like to bring up the point that Earth's orbit should be roughly 93 MILLION miles from the sun. That means if you figure out the conversion to g/u, ALL Of darkspace is massively out of proportion. (IE: Dreads larger than planets.)

Because of this, ALL planets would need to be resized to fit in properly with the model sizes of ships. Also, faster than light travel at 1000g/u a second or whatever the speed is now, IS NOT Faster than light.

Get picky, and get the game made right!

[ This Message was edited by: II on 2003-09-03 00:09 ]

MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2003-09-03 00:26   
How can Neptune and Uranus be explained then? They are gas planets?

I would like to see a new Sol where Neptune and Uranus are gas giants and have their largest moons present as barren planets (maybe ice, some scientists theorize that some may be ice right?), where Mercury is the inferno it's supposed to be, where Earth and Venus are on opposite sides of Sol instead of being neighbors, where Jupiter's moons are spread around it instead of just one half, and where there's at least one more Saturn moon.

Of course, the new moons would aquire the resources we would lose from making Mercury and Uranus uninhabitable.

Now, I have no idea how to make maps so I can't do it

This is a great post BTW. Lots of good info and it's presented wonderfully. And it makes me think...how DS's Sol system along with all the others can be changed and improved. Very good. Let's overhaul all of them! But someone else can do it

[ This Message was edited by: MrSparkle on 2003-09-03 00:30 ]

OFP
Cadet

Posted: 2003-09-03 01:27   
Quote:

On 2003-09-03 00:26, MrSparkle wrote:
How can Neptune and Uranus be explained then? They are gas planets?

I would like to see a new Sol where Neptune and Uranus are gas giants and have their largest moons present as barren planets (maybe ice, some scientists theorize that some may be ice right?), where Mercury is the inferno it's supposed to be, where Earth and Venus are on opposite sides of Sol instead of being neighbors, where Jupiter's moons are spread around it instead of just one half, and where there's at least one more Saturn moon.

Of course, the new moons would aquire the resources we would lose from making Mercury and Uranus uninhabitable.

Now, I have no idea how to make maps so I can't do it

This is a great post BTW. Lots of good info and it's presented wonderfully. And it makes me think...how DS's Sol system along with all the others can be changed and improved. Very good. Let's overhaul all of them! But someone else can do it

[ This Message was edited by: MrSparkle on 2003-09-03 00:30 ]

Go into my New SOL map I made... and check it out.

96 worlds and counting..

Koda
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2003-09-03 02:17   
Nice map G

Azure.co.uk
Cadet

Posted: 2003-09-03 04:47   
Map is poo, sorry, but the amount of new death stars? Mars with 2 death stars!? Please not another Barnards... plus it is just a game. Though the positioning looks nice but 96 planets?

[ This Message was edited by: Azure.co.uk on 2003-09-03 05:02 ]

Schakal*
Cadet
eXcellent Strategists

Posted: 2003-09-03 04:51   
Yes, there are much to much Death Stars. That Map would be fine for 1.481, but it'll take hours if not days to cap sol Then

BTW distance between Jupiter orbit and Saturn orbit should be increased..

slice
Admiral

Posted: 2003-09-03 05:01   
Quote:

On 2003-09-02 23:37, CharAznable [~Z~] wrote:
Then there should be a Terriform Class ship...???

i couldnt agree more, even to bring barren planets up to terran standards

Scythe
Commander

Posted: 2003-09-03 05:33   
Very nice map G,

It would be nice to play on it, however, from a gameplay perspective i believe it would be impossible to have it in the game. For the simple fact that it will make Sol impossible to capture at all. But as I said it is a very, very nice map.

Scythe

Darkspace Developer

Commander - Line Station Excalibur

Captain - Assault Dreadnaught Australis

Crash003
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2003-09-03 05:42   
if barren planets could become terran.. the MV would be filled with terran planets, there would be no differance between 2 planets

Email Crash003   Goto the website of Crash003
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.030180 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR