No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +3.2 Days

Search

Anniversaries

19th - Server

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » [BETA] Solar generators
 Author [BETA] Solar generators
Axianda The Royal
Fleet Admiral
Terra Squadron

Posted: 2003-08-31 13:19   
In beta the planets rotate so when the solars turn to the dark side you guess it they loose power making the planet fall dead.

To remedy this i got 2 suggestions.

First of all double/triple the ammount of power a solar can generate.
secondly i suggest planets get a power meter.
Basicly the planet has a battery so when a shortage pops up it will drain its reserves rather to shut down.
Also a depot can be used to enlarge the existing capacety.

This way you can devide solars equally on a planet whitout letting it power down.

1-2 solars in the sun should be enough to give the planet energy and in the meanwhile keep the battery charged till next solar comes into suns reach.

- Axi

Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2003-08-31 13:24   
lets say 20 power storrage for a solor and 35 for a fuson plant
the more you have the more storrage you can have

btw darn nice idee

Barthezzz
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2003-08-31 13:26   
Just build them around the planet so the Planet always has 2 solars gens in the sun.

Goto the website of Barthezzz
Ramius
Fleet Admiral
Agents

Posted: 2003-08-31 13:33   
Once the patch goes live, how many people will want to waste building slots on planets for a ring of solar gens that 70% of the time are idle. I'm guessing fusion generators will make a come back unless this problem is solved.

So I think your idea for a solar gen "battery" is wonderful.

Email Ramius
Pope
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2003-08-31 13:42   
maybe every util structure could be ugraded to have a solar generator on the roof .-d

that would at least be somewhat realisitc

Thrie
Fleet Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2003-08-31 14:02   
my idea....
Lets develop.... Train Tracks!!! yesh! players built a Railway system in a straight line around the planet... and it wont be an easy task... One railroad section per Segment and once complete... you can build any building on the Train for rotation... IE (HUB, Fighter base, Solar Generator, Defence Base, ya know important stuff) and the railroad system has a menu for the train to stay at what location

Light: Stay where the sun is, so the Generator can get plenty of light.

Dark: Stay where theres no Sun or darkest, Kinda useless but kinda cool?

Offensive: Move toward where the enemy is coming from. This would help move Weapon buildings toward the enemy direction so it may fire.

Defensive: Move to the opposite side from where the enemy is coming from. Then you can keep the HUB or whatever is built on the train system safe from enemy bombing or so.

yeah and i was thinking like 500 Metal, 300 Heavy metal per Segment when building the train system. Or more... It cant be an easily build thing that can take up all space on a planet...
And it can only be built in the middle around the planet. or on the Equater line... get my drift?

Email Thrie
Chromix
Cadet

Posted: 2003-08-31 15:21   
Quote:
Basicly the planet has a battery so when a shortage pops up it will drain its reserves rather to shut down.

New building, sounds good.

Email Chromix
UnknownWarrior
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2003-08-31 18:28   
I got a good idea for this...The Solar Generators gather the energy and stores some of it into Solar Batteries during the day, giving off the other half to power the buildings and defences, and when that side is at night time, the Batteries kick in for the same length of time and power everything until the Solar Generators come back online, then those shut down and recharge again

Email UnknownWarrior
MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2003-08-31 19:28   
Doesn't work Barthezz. I've tried every conceivable way to use solar generators, and they just aren't as good as fusions, not even on Articus. If 5 fusion = 150 power guaranteed all the time, there's no way that 5 solars would be equal to or greater than 150 power all the time. Believe me, I've tried.

I think Axianda's idea is great. It's been suggested numerous times already, but it's still great Solars just plain stink now so something needs to be done. Simplest solution? Make them generate more power. More complicated? Make a power storage building or something.

Either way, something should be done. It's like DS is trying to tell the world that solar power is no good! (well no but it's funny to think of it like that!)

EDIT: Definitely go try solar generators for yourself. Lots of times it's not enough to just hear from someone that they don't work as well; sometimes you have to experience it yourself. And who knows, maybe you'll find that ingenious way to use a combination of solars and fusion like I've been trying to do!

[ This Message was edited by: MrSparkle on 2003-08-31 23:13 ]

Page created in 0.019933 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR