No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +3.1 Days

Search

Anniversaries

19th - Server

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Request for open discussion
 Author Request for open discussion
Pope
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2003-08-20 13:04   
Hi,

there are tons and tons of community member posts in here, kilograms of wetware that is thinking about the future of the game - granted, of all qualities - and most, me included, dont mind if they dont get a team reply to their ideas.

however, it would help a lot if we even had the slightest idea of what the teams vision of the future of DS is.

will teamwork become essential or not? will there be a focus on diversity in ships, requiring more mixed fleets? will there be a new role for ship class X?

anything, however general it is, will already help alot with steering the thoughts of the community. i'd take bets that at least 50% of the ideas in here are bound to be useless from the very start because they are heading in the wrong direction.

there has to be a consensus or at least different opinions amongst the designing and developing staff about general gameplay ideas.

id like to know what it is.

it is hard to brainstorm on anything you dont know the boundaries and settings for, and its not very effective to detail ideas out under those conditions.

this game is far to good for me to not think and care about.
please, cast some light into this forum.

Axianda The Royal
Fleet Admiral
Terra Squadron

Posted: 2003-08-20 13:18   
Yeah me 2 i've read a lot of great idea's but i almost never see the dev post hmm thats a nice idea or sorry we'll never put that in at least you know where you stand

- Axi

Juxtapose
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2003-08-20 13:37   
I heartily concur!

Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2003-08-20 16:03   
would definatly be nice if we had some (even a bit) idea as to where they want to go with it, could point the wetware in that direction. lotta good ideas get posted, but most proably wont get in *sigh*

Quote:
wetware

havent heard that term for a while

Orion_Prime
Cadet

Posted: 2003-08-21 11:08   
Ask and ye shall recieve

Quote:

- Public Developer Meeting
08/30/03 +9.1 Days

Email Orion_Prime
Pope
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2003-08-21 17:30   
the public dev meetings tend to be more like a "ask F what has been asked 10 times before" session.

what i would love to see is a few paragraphs about how the future of DS is envisioned by the dev team.

talking about general issues, not "when will the patch be released" or "why not make a light disruptor"

-=Arch=-
Cadet

Posted: 2003-08-21 18:15   
hmmm ... no response from the Devs ......

Goto the website of -=Arch=-
Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2003-08-21 21:47   
Quote:
On 2003-08-21 18:15, -Arch- {No Comment} wrote:
hmmm ... no response from the Devs ......

We make it a point not to respond.

In fact, its one of our primary tenets of operation. Here's a snippet from our Development Team Mission Statement to demonstrate:

...shall strive to communicate with the player base as seldom as possible. When it becomes absolutely imperative that the player base be told something, it should be done with a minimum of words, and as few facts as possible. (TIP: Use statistics and percentages whenever possible, as they can often appear to be factual, but are easily misunderstood and are very often misused by those seeking to make an argument, which then leads to any issue or suggestion becoming so distorted that it is usually abondoned by all involved. Do your best, however, to be as friendly in the presentation of these numbers as possible, so that the players don't catch on. A false sense of frienship does wonders.) Whenever possible, Developers should strive to obfuscate any comments they make, and never answer a question directly. Confusion is paramount, especially when...

You get the idea.

And remember, Developers have historically responded to over 65% of all suggestive posts, and post an average of 1.72 messages a day. They also tend to be one of the most inter-communicative groups, when measured using a weighted scale.

- Shigernafy, your loyal and informative Developer friend

[ This Message was edited by: Shigernafy on 2003-08-21 21:52 ]

Email Shigernafy
-=Arch=-
Cadet

Posted: 2003-08-21 22:42   
LOL ..... exactly as expected .... almost on que even ....

Goto the website of -=Arch=-
g0ds s0ldier
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2003-08-22 00:15   
Quote:

On 2003-08-21 21:47, Shigernafy wrote:

Do your best, however, to be as friendly in the presentation of these numbers as possible, so that the players don't catch on. A false sense of frienship does wonders.

does this mean your really not my friend?

Axianda The Royal
Fleet Admiral
Terra Squadron

Posted: 2003-08-22 05:15   
Its true that you have responeded often already thats one of the reasons i went back to DS the devs talked to use * VERY IMPORTAND *and we dont expect you to respond to all but some of these idea's get ALOT of positive feedback from players and i mean A LOT.

at that point we cant help to think ok we think its good what do the devs think?

- Axi

g0ds s0ldier
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2003-08-22 05:28   
I think the Information they give us is a ok ammount, even tho we hear the same things over and over and over ..Doesnt bother me at all, i think the right choices will be made...

Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2003-08-22 07:17   
On a more serious note, part of the reason we're not being very communicative at the moment is that we are stuck waiting for the patch just like all the players are. With Faustus slaving away over the 1.481 stuff, he doesn't really have the time to consider, much less code, any of these suggestions.

Hopefully, once the backlog of things to code clears up a bit, we can really begin working on some of the ideas presented around here. At that point, we would probably be posting more on what we think about what we see.

For now, though, we're not talking about what we're doing because we're not really doing much. There is a little work here and there, mainly on the more minor facets of the game (webpage, mod tools, gcql, etc), but without Faustus available, we can't really do too much to the game itself.

I hope that clears things up a bit.. I also hope that you don't get discouraged. Everyone, from players to Devs, appreciate all the hard work every one of your suggestive folks put in thinking of ways to improve the game - its such a high level of participation in all aspects of this game that makes it great.

So, keep the ideas rolling.. we'll keep a casual eye on things until we reach the point where we can use them... and then hopefully you'll start to see some of your suggestions making it into the game.

Also, as another excuse/explanation, I have personally been extremely busy in real life lately, and I think others are seeing a similar trend in their time being taken up by outside pursuits. Hopefully this will calm down in the future, but for now we do what we can with the limited time we have around here....

- Shig

PS - I still love you, g0ds.

Email Shigernafy
Pope
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2003-08-22 15:09   
Quote:

On 2003-08-22 07:17, Shigernafy wrote:
On a more serious note,

there you HAD me wondering with your previous post!

Quote:

that we are stuck waiting for the patch just like all the players are. With

i thought that wouldnt hinder any design work...

Quote:

Faustus slaving away over the 1.481 stuff, he doesn't really have the time to consider, much less code, any of these suggestions.

...but i guess he is the deciding factor

Quote:

For now, though, we're not talking about what we're doing because we're not really doing much. There is a little work here and there, mainly on the

pssst noone heard that *g*

Quote:

more minor facets of the game (webpage, mod tools, gcql, etc), but without Faustus available, we can't really do too much to the game itself.

those so-called minor facets become pretty important when you plan to reach a certain size..

Quote:

I hope that clears things up a bit.. I also hope that you don't get discouraged. Everyone, from players to Devs, appreciate all the hard work

yes, no

Quote:

- Shig

PS - I still love you, g0ds.

noone heard that either

g0ds s0ldier
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2003-08-22 16:50   
I heard it...

Page created in 0.018783 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR