No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +3.7 Days

Search

Anniversaries

19th - Server

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » The Answer to Balance
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
 Author The Answer to Balance
Lith Ragond
Cadet
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2003-08-18 09:48   
Quote:
Anyway, the Uniserver IS Medusa.

no, the universe server is an update to the server back end which medusa takes advantage of

Quote:
Medusa is like the Matrix, its everywhere,

LOL

Quote:
it runs the lobby

no, the lobby and the game client, are two sperate things, the servers run the lobby (GCQL)

Quote:
it runs the metaverse

again, wrong, the servers host each MV system, in which medusa renders the planets and such

Quote:
it runs EVERYTHING

i think i've proven that bit wrong

Quote:
including drawing the pretty little ships. But you can easily swap out ships for Orcs and Elves. That is the idea behind medusa.

bout time you get something right, yes medusa is a 3D engine which draws objects, it also does a lot more too though, but doesnt "control everything".

Quote:
Er... I'm not talking about balance... don't know what you're getting at here. Balance is how many players there are on a side.

ok, let me make it more clear... 1.481 server rework and a few extra goodies (aka the new content you were whining for), 1.482 a balance patch that will get rid of the obvious imbalances in the ship layouts, anything after that, the new content you have been whining for... be patient, quite griping, out of patience, leave.

Darksworde
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2003-08-18 10:36   
lol. Conspiracy is still it seems in the forums.

However, back to the subject of this thread, balance, or more accurately, incentive.

Of note, with nothing having been posted in the dev logs yet, im curious to see how faustus will expand upon the mission system. If you ask me, this is the way the game can be altered to provide incentive in game.

Currently, we are rewarded for keeping the enemy close to our planets and stopping the planet from capping. The easiest (And becoming the most popular) method we have atm is to remote build and rotate barracks. This allows a player to gain on average (At full potential) 60 pres per hour and 240,000 credits. No need to do anything other than sit in deep space and pres/credit farm.

Maybe the first thing we should prevent is remote building. If the planet is bombed, inf start to kill structures, you have to be there to rebuild the planet. Or, as a compromise to remote building, ensure that some structures cannot be remote built, whilst others can.

Also, with regards to engineering, how about varying the amount of prestige awarded for types of structures. Or Maybe adding missions for engineers, say:

Stage 1 Planet:Building a planet upto basic level. 32 structures, with barracks, mines, factories, research labs, etc

Stage 2 Planet:Adding things like defense bases, fighter bases

Stage 3 Planet:Getting a planet upto shipyard status, getting x amount of resources on a planet, setting trade routes.

Christ, you could implement a mission system that say rewards 10 pres and 10000 credits to put a colony hub on a planet. A further 10 pres to get a basic set of mines/res labs/barracks up.

On another note, howabout some wierd and wonderful things. Like the ability to vary the diameter of the dictor field on your ship, with the size having a direct link to the amount of energy drained.

What about making a dictor effect all ships, not just friendlies. Would add another element of teamwork to use a dictor them

Or, how about the ability to modify the projectile speed for bombs, so we arnt limited to 10/15gu for bombers.

Anyway, hope this will put this thread back on track so we can get something useful out of all this.

A Jackswift Original

[ This Message was edited by: Darksworde on 2003-08-18 10:47 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Darksworde on 2003-08-18 11:08 ]

Email Darksworde   Goto the website of Darksworde
Demorian
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2003-08-18 11:17   
No, the Universe Server is not Medusa.

Medusa is a graphics engine originally designed for a planar 3D RPG-style game, however it is modified for space environments. This is one of the many reasons that combat in DarkSpace is naval (2D) and not tactical-3D.

The Universe Server is an entirely new server backend used to run the server computers. It uses dynamic load balancing to distribute information among all the servers, reducing lag tremendously. Faustus had to write the entire thing from scratch... Medusa is already in place, and has been.

Your inquisition is intriguing, but misguided. And let me pull a Simon here... I'm not trying to be rude... that's just the way it is.

-Dem

II
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2003-08-18 12:50   
Lith, you replied to my post without reading the edit at the bottom, i stated that GameCQ is a seperate entity.

And Dem, Medusa is the client as well as all the backend. That is what other gaming companies (Theoretically) are supposed to buy from Palestar. They pay for the entire system, and all they do is add some pretty new skins and a story line and whallah, a completed game. Do you think if someone was to buy a license for Medusa they would have to write their own server from scratch? That's almost laughable.

Darkspace is just funding for Palestar's true business plan.

-Tracker

Lith Ragond
Cadet
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2003-08-18 14:26   
Quote:
Lith, you replied to my post without reading the edit at the bottom, i stated that GameCQ is a seperate entity.

or maybe i replied before you edited it, NER

Imaginary Shifty
Midshipman

Posted: 2003-08-18 14:27   
medusa is a graphix engine.

Beyond Imagination Hosted by Twisted Designs

Email Imaginary Shifty   Goto the website of Imaginary Shifty
g0ds s0ldier
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2003-08-18 15:51   
Quote:

On 2003-08-18 12:50, II wrote:

And Dem, Medusa is the client as well as all the backend. That is what other gaming companies (Theoretically) are supposed to buy from Palestar. They pay for the entire system, and all they do is add some pretty new skins and a story line and whallah, a completed game. Do you think if someone was to buy a license for Medusa they would have to write their own server from scratch? That's almost laughable.

Darkspace is just funding for Palestar's true business plan.

-Tracker

Maybe, never know.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
Page created in 0.104374 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR