No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +3.0 Days

Search

Anniversaries

19th - Server

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Stat resets and faction hopping
 Author Stat resets and faction hopping
Wolver{RIP R33}
Cadet

Posted: 2003-08-15 11:38   
What about the possibility of resetting rank and stats when a person changes faction? There are some MMORPGs out now that do this, in order to join another faction you have to create a new character basically. I understand that DS is a bit different in that the 3 factions are much different than just playing on the Red team or the Blue team. But, I think that the tendancy for people to join the winning side has always been prevalent in DS.

I think people should be able to change fleets and retain all stats, but only if the fleet is within the same faction of their previous fleet.

\"I wasn't sleeping Chief. It's just that I haven't gotten much sleep these last few nights. I forgot how. So I was just practicing!\" - Dropo \"The Laziest Man on Mars\"

Smith
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2003-08-15 11:53   
that will never happen

DoctorCrobe
Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2003-08-15 12:05   
Interesting, but it BEGS to get flamed and hated.

Dr.Crobe

Lith Ragond
Cadet
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2003-08-15 12:37   
i'd be all for it, but it would never fly, instead, a diff system should be put in place.

first 3 months subscribed: you can switch between factions all you want, with no penalty. on the end of the 3rd month, you can choose to remain in the current faction you are on, or switch with no penalty.

after the 3rd month has passed, you begin getting a prestige penalty for switching factions, based on overall presitge and time spent in current faction. for instance, after the 3rd month ends and i've already picked a faction, i decide i want to switch to Kluth, say i have been UGTO for a week after the 3rd month, and i am a VA with 18k pres, because i've been UGTO for only a week the % of pres is higher. that way, the longer you are in a faction, the LESS expensive it gets to change. so, someone who has been UGTO for a long time, say... 1 year 9 months, decides to switch, there pres loss will be minimal.

now, say this person who has been UGTO for so long, decides they dont like Kluth, but want to switch back to UGTO, because they were UGTO for so long, there % lost will not be as high for them as/normal amount lost. so, they are back on UGTO, but because they have switched back and forth, they now suffer normal press loss for switching factions.

it's quite simple really, and would encourage loyalty to a faction.

now, u ask about fleets switching, simple, fleet leader switches faction of fleet, next time someone in that fleet logs on, they are presented with a choice, go with fleet and lose X amount of pres (still calculated normally) or leave fleet and stay with current faction.

it makes perfect sense to me.

as for switching fleets within a faction, a new stat in the profile could be made, Fleet Loyalty rating. the more fleets you jump between, the less it goes, and the longer you have to wait before joining a new fleet. measure between 0-100%

Happiness is found in the frozen food's section... where they keep the ice cream.

[ This Message was edited by: Lith "Forum Lawyer" Ragond on 2003-08-15 12:40 ]

MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2003-08-15 12:45   
Yes something should be done even if it's not what's already been suggested.

Right now the only penalty for faction switching is having to delete your ships. Only thing is, I have no new suggestions at all on what may be done that aren't drastic.

JediKnight
Admiral

Posted: 2003-08-15 13:52   
The problem with this is that people really place value on their stats, and would quit playing if they couldn't stay Fleet Admiral

Goto the website of JediKnight
Orion_Prime
Cadet

Posted: 2003-08-15 14:24   
Why not just have separate stats between the factions?

Then someone will have to play a bit when they join a new faction, but if they switch back to the original faction, they will retain the stats for that faction...

That would be much easier than some sort of penalty...

This would also have to wait to be implemented after the scen servers go away...

Email Orion_Prime
Lith Ragond
Cadet
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2003-08-15 17:36   
or just a MV stat flat out...

"WOOT! i just got to Admiral playing FA, now to hit the MV"

*players joins MV*

"WTF?! i'm a midshipman!"

MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2003-08-15 18:54   
Lith that was actually gonna be my suggestion If MV stats were completely separate from scenario stats, we'd be able to justify resetting the when switching factions. I seem to be earning prestige in the beta MV from 0 even though my profile has all badges (it is demo though), and not only do I not mind, it's kinda fun.

The biggest problem is earning engineering points in there. It's really tough to earn them when all systems are already built. Same with transport badges. PLUS, like I saw in the beta MV, planets will be badly built on purpose with lots of factories or farms or something just to earn those points, leaving a loss of points for whoever wants to fix them.

But yes, keeping MV stats separate may be a good thing. Would it require a total reset of everyone's profiles?

Lith Ragond
Cadet
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2003-08-15 20:54   
Quote:
The biggest problem is earning engineering points in there.

ask yourself this... why dont people bomb/build in the MV? why the hell would they, they have FA, make a NEED to bomb in the MV (aka, MV bombing badges) and vwalla, someone is gonna have to build those planets. this would naturally be a fleet function, 1 bomber, 1 supply, 1 engy, and 1 tranny. if anything, the current prestige/profile system DIScourages teamwork, and since this game is (supposed) to be all about teamwork, it doesnt make much sense.

then again, scenerios are (someday probably in the far too distant future) going to be taken away, but really, there is no need to take scenarios away, simply give MV it's own profile/prestige system. Faust and the Devs say they want to promote teamwork... but with all the server updates out of the way (for now) when are we going to see something change about DS which MAKES people WANT to play together?

no, i phrased that wrong, when are they going to make it FUN for people to play together, that's all we are here for anyway, to have fun. and currently, the most fun is had persuing your own goals.

so if you think about it, a new profile/prestige system, or eliminating scenerios ASAP, is an integral part of the development of DarkSpace.

Lith Ragond
Cadet
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2003-08-18 09:49   
bump

Axianda The Royal
Fleet Admiral
Terra Squadron

Posted: 2003-08-18 10:02   
all my pres gone?!?!

no not in your life time

maybe some other penalties like a timer that says you got to stay the side for 1-2 months * no swapping *

- Axi

Imaginary Shifty
Midshipman

Posted: 2003-08-18 12:40   
how about this radically idiotic idea: we keep it as it is.

Beyond Imagination Hosted by Twisted Designs

Email Imaginary Shifty   Goto the website of Imaginary Shifty
Axianda The Royal
Fleet Admiral
Terra Squadron

Posted: 2003-08-18 15:40   
Quote:

On 2003-08-18 12:40, Ash [Ancient] wrote:
how about this radically idiotic idea: we keep it as it is.

*GASP *

its so simple yet brilliant.

its crazy though but it might just as wel just do the trick

- Axi

Wolver{RIP R33}
Cadet

Posted: 2003-08-19 13:26   
After reading a few posts I think we should keep it like it is and just do away with the PB clan altogether since they can't make up their minds.

But seriously, I like Lith's idea of seperate stats for MV and FA server. That way people can advance on FA and be able to try all the ships from any faction they want, and then decide what they want to be in MV. I think if we keep things the way they are, then eventually all players will be in the faction, or at least the majority. And what fun is that? Kinda like the state of the MV right now, not much fun.

\"I wasn't sleeping Chief. It's just that I haven't gotten much sleep these last few nights. I forgot how. So I was just practicing!\" - Dropo \"The Laziest Man on Mars\"

Page created in 0.028939 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR