No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +3.0 Days

Search

Anniversaries

19th - Server

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Change to SD Countdown Timer
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
 Author Change to SD Countdown Timer
Max Kepler
Fleet Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2003-08-13 00:01   
I really think a lot of the people that push this are vain people who just want a better than 1-to-1 kill ratio (or better, whatever...). You don't need to have the kill point to have the satisfaction that you just blew someone else out of the water. If you are going to complain or suggest something, make it worth Faustus's time. He's busy making the game better, not people's egos. And realize that is about the ONLY reason people keep this up. Its not, "I hate to see my team-mates self-destructing at high hull points. Its just a dishonorable act." Its always, "I don't get my kill points."

I use self-destructing so that the enemy is closest to me when the ship explodes, not 200gu away (when it does no damage). I time it -- if they pull out or my timing is off, I cancel it. In the cases where I'll explode when I'm close enough to them, I don't bother SDing.

@Tael - I wouldn't mind if SDing was restricted, but I'd also leave it open to people with no jump fuel (or maybe no jump fuel for a period so they don't just strip their JD and SD [but not necessarily, since you CAN just log if you are lost in space]) and people with serious system damage.

Email Max Kepler   Goto the website of Max Kepler
DOM700 [-IMO-]
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2003-08-13 00:26   
I agree with sono...SDing is bad, crippling with mines is good...

Never forget what you fight for
I have earned my betatester badge for being part of the open beta

Email DOM700 [-IMO-]   Goto the website of DOM700 [-IMO-]
A Troll =SSC=
Cadet

Posted: 2003-08-13 13:48   
the only time i SD is maybe if i'm about to be destroyed i'm close to the enemy to cause damage my weapon systems are down then i SD also if i decide i want to kamikazi someone (in which case i grab a CD or MD and just blow up right under them)

Email A Troll =SSC=
conswirloo [V]
Cadet

Posted: 2003-08-13 14:04   
Quote:

On 2003-08-12 17:14, Tael wrote:
no it was not misunderstood...

The purpose of the SD is to keep it from enemy hands...

Actually there is much discussion on making the SD only activate if you are boarded or below say 30 % hull...

Can systems damage be added to that? Nothing more frustrating than being at 85% hull, systems nuked to death, pointlessly pressing the reload buttons, knowing they are gonna cut off again in half a second anyway, while attacking ships gleefully dump more mines on you like a small child pulling legs off an ant. Just a thought

Email conswirloo [V]
DOM700 [-IMO-]
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2003-08-13 14:30   
Quote:

On 2003-08-13 14:04, conswirloo [V] wrote:

Can systems damage be added to that? Nothing more frustrating than being at 85% hull, systems nuked to death, pointlessly pressing the reload buttons, knowing they are gonna cut off again in half a second anyway, while attacking ships gleefully dump more mines on you like a small child pulling legs off an ant. Just a thought

Thats just why SD...being at 90 hull with no systems and no chance to escape

Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2003-08-13 14:51   
hehe how about port trusters and ramm the ship in to the enemy
> the idee i had whit Faustus about ramming ships as a other last resort
that you may ram your ship on an enemy or enebeling that an enemy ship wil hit yours the colide

would be a bether use of the kimakaze points and than self destruct would become nothing more like ultra last resport > out or fuel no sups dont want to logg or just that the enemy is nuking you whip PCM truw the system

Orion_Prime
Cadet

Posted: 2003-08-14 09:57   
jeez who cares about kills? They mean nothing, you can still get a good rank with a REAL bad kill/death ratio.

For instance, I'm a Vice Admiral and my ratio is 299/470. That's horrible for an "oldtimer" like me, but I don't care, and you shouldn't either...

Email Orion_Prime
DOM700 [-IMO-]
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2003-08-14 10:01   
I agree with Orion, Kills usually just mean good timing
Today I got killed...an EAD shot me down to like 5 percent hull and then a BD came and stole the kill, really nice I think...

Juxtapose
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2003-08-14 10:53   
If kills don't matter, then who cares who finishes you off at 5%.

Personally, I think Kills do matter. If they didn't, then why count them? I don't think they matter enough for me to seriously accuse someone of "Stealing" my kill. . .I would much prefer someone close jumping a Dread that I have been pounding away at, alpha-striking them when they only have 2% hull and kill them, than having that Dread somehow escape and be forced to read the little red print : "Haha! I'm so Elite!" (though, the reality is, they probably SD'd long before this scenerio happened)

Kills matter when you and a teammate/friend are on a role, cutting a swath of destruction through the MV or FA...Its friendly competition... Its: "Ha! I got that one!" Its: "How many did you get?", "4...and you?", "5! I win!"

But then again, this is just my opinion...and I know how some people react to folks with opinions, so I will pull my head back into my shell and weather the abuse as best I can

DarkWard
Chief Marshal
Team Germany

Posted: 2003-08-14 12:38   
If you want to change the SD behavor I suggest to go in direction of the ships energy. Basically the less energy you have the longer it takes to charge the SD device..

BTW.. SD devices are devices, so they should also take damage

DarkestVorlon
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2003-08-14 13:02   
No, SD system isnt a "Device" its the entire power generation system and pwoer network of your entire ship, AND any explosives onboard like torps and missiles, even fighters!

When a ship self destructs it emits a warning ebacon to all friendly ships, only problem is that beacon is a generall warning signal that EVERYONE see's, all the guys on yoru side and trhe poor b@st@rd your tryin to blow up next to, I agree a 10 second count can be too quick, especialy for Kamikaze Dreads that SD on stations, now a 20 - 30 second count fixes that problem, stops kill stealing SD's for those who are so scared of that happening. SD'ing when boarded is both a nessacity and a problem.

Reason its needed = Without SD ability everyone will auto-cap everyone else, and in large battles being boarded by multiple ships over a extended period you have no hope of fedning off the boarders and staying in the fight

Reason its a problem = unhindered, people will always SD before being captured.

There is a middleground somewhere, just needs to be found. Perhaps make a reactore core system that can be disabled, if you succeed in that the player cant SD, though that system will be the hardest to dsiable without destroying the entire ship, the more damage the core takes the higher the risk of a core breach, causing a catastrophic explosion.
Former Member of Agents.
Former Member of NX.
Founding and former member of KIGR.

Email DarkestVorlon
DOM700 [-IMO-]
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2003-08-14 14:20   
LOL, It doesnt matter in anyway if the SD timer for a kamikaze dread is 10 secs or 10 mins (oh well, thats a bit long isnt it?) it will still hit the station

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Page created in 0.024353 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR