No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +2.9 Days

Search

Anniversaries

19th - Server

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Change to SD Countdown Timer
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Change to SD Countdown Timer
Pentara
Cadet

Posted: 2003-08-12 14:33   
There is a purpose to self-destructing in the game.

You are lost in space with no fuel.

You want to sacrifice yourself for the greater good of damaging your enemy.

But one purpose which does not belong is self-destructing to rob your killer of their well earned kill points.

So I propose this change to the self-destruct countdown timer to eliminate this problem.

SD Countdown time = 10 + (100-hull%) seconds

This way, SDing at
100% hull = 10 seconds
50% hull = 60 seconds
10%hull = 100 seconds

And someone about to die requires more time to Self-Destruct, thus giving their attacker a fair amount of time to finish them off.

(Oh, it would also be nice if there was a visual sign of an impending Self-Destruct like perhaps having the ship start glowing or pulsing with a red/orange light)

[ This Message was edited by: Pentara on 2003-08-12 14:34 ]

MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2003-08-12 15:43   
Ooh! Very nice suggestion! It irks me too when people SD just to rob someone of a kill.

You know. I've died 224 times and I have zero SD's. I do have kamikaze points though...

So here's my point:

There's no reason to SD at all unless you want to rob someone of a kill. No need to manually SD to damage nearby enemies because if they destroy you, your explosion does the same damage as if you SD'ed anyway (that's where my kamikaze points are from). I feel it's better to stick it out to the bitter end, do as much damage with your torps and lasers as possible, and when you do finally bite the dust, you can add your ship's explosion to the damage you did to them.

Only reason I can see to SD is if you're stuck out in deep space with no fuel and no supplys online. And even then, I'd rather log off for a while and keep my record of zero SD's

[ This Message was edited by: MrSparkle on 2003-08-12 16:24 ]

Kirby
Midshipman

Posted: 2003-08-12 15:46   
the "SD" sign is a good idea!

Mr tinkles anti wibblinator
Cadet

Posted: 2003-08-12 16:16   
whatt what is the obsession with Oh look ive got so so kills

Goto the website of Mr tinkles anti wibblinator
Tael
2nd Rear Admiral
Palestar

Posted: 2003-08-12 16:52   
No, we actually discussed this before and it was considered that increasing the timer for healthy ships considering SD'ing is a last ditch effort to avoid capture of your ship and equipment by the enemy.

Email Tael
Pentara
Cadet

Posted: 2003-08-12 17:07   
I'm a little confused by your statement Tael. I can't figure out if you mis-understood my suggestion or if you are talking about something different.

My formula does not affect the SD timer of healthy ships, only those that are damaged. (To prevent kill robbing)

If you are saying that you want to increase the timer flat out, to say 60 seconds no matter the condition of your ship, I'd be for that as well. Self-destructing should be a well thought out action and there should be time to change your mind. 8)~

Tael
2nd Rear Admiral
Palestar

Posted: 2003-08-12 17:14   
no it was not misunderstood...

The purpose of the SD is to keep it from enemy hands...

Actually there is much discussion on making the SD only activate if you are boarded or below say 30 % hull...

Email Tael
Pentara
Cadet

Posted: 2003-08-12 17:29   
You are encouraging self-destructing to prevent the attacker from getting the kill point? I'm sorry, but that is the stupidest thing I have heard in a long time. Many current DS players find it annoying/aggrivating when they put all their effort into killing an enemy only to have them SD at 2% hull as the last shot is being fired. If you are going to do that, then at least add the feature that when a ship self-destructs, a kill point goes the the enemy ship that did the most damage to it.

[ This Message was edited by: Pentara on 2003-08-12 17:30 ]

'A1Tyrael
Cadet

Posted: 2003-08-12 17:32   
Day after day I watch you guys get more and more whiny and pathetic, its really funny!

Hello Joe! ;)

Mr tinkles anti wibblinator
Cadet

Posted: 2003-08-12 19:32   
its a tactic and what does a kill do it doesnt give you pres damage gives you pres

Goto the website of Mr tinkles anti wibblinator
Pentara
Cadet

Posted: 2003-08-12 20:26   
It's about the sense of satisfaction.

Pope
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2003-08-12 20:51   
killing is bad, crippling is good

JackCrackerMan
Fleet Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2003-08-12 21:39   
I just dont get why people go on and on about kills... besides its just a game, if you get that pissed off them quit for afew hours to cool off. Seriously.... just like every other game, there just are those players that will find out what pisses everyone off and they will do it.. I dont care what game it is... they WILL find a way to do it. Besides, its their lose.

Email JackCrackerMan
MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2003-08-12 21:45   
Quote:
Actually there is much discussion on making the SD only activate if you are boarded or below say 30 % hull...

Sounds good, but what about those (rare) times when you're stuck in the middle of nowhere and you can't jump? (and they don't do like me and just log out for a while?)

And yeah like Pentara said, give the kill point to whoever did the most damage to someone that SD's when damaged. That'll foil their attempt at foiling the killer's gain of a kill point off them:) Cuz that's mostly what SD is used for now...it's more a spite action than a sound tactical action (c'mon admit it everyone!)

Or this...NO MORE KAMIKAZE POINTS! If you SD you lose prestige, more than from being killed (maybe by losing Ship's Damaged points? Like when you scrap buildings you lose Engineering?). You won't gain anything by SDing even if you damage or destroy 20 enemy ships in the process (because SDing isn't about gaining points), Losing more points from the SD means it's in your best interest to stay in a hopeless fight till the bitter end; it's less of a points loss for you.

I think with that change we'd see SDs mostly to prevent capture from boarding, and since it would cause prestige loss if you SD'd when boarded, you'd have a choice to make:

"It's either sacrifice my ship and my prestige, or let the enemy take my ship...hmm" Then at least your SD is an honorable act for the good of your faction. That could turn the whole idea of SDing around from usually despicable to usually honorable!

[ This Message was edited by: MrSparkle on 2003-08-12 21:56 ]

Stracius
Cadet

Posted: 2003-08-12 22:29   
Quote:

On 2003-08-12 20:51, sono wrote:
killing is bad, crippling is good

must... post... pic.. sono.. can't jump... yarrrgh *boom*

Goto the website of Stracius
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.026202 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR