No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +2.8 Days

Search

Anniversaries

19th - Server

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Ideas - Orbit, Tactical gui class and 3D
 Author Ideas - Orbit, Tactical gui class and 3D
Dwarden
Admiral
CHIMERA

Posted: 2003-08-11 12:40   
Hi Richard,

i want suggest this:

1) add additional type of orbit - like geo-stationary orbit (synchronious orbit) where ship maintain orbit above same surface point...

why? it's confusing to follow shipyard, not for 1st time but for 200 time and so on it gets bit confusing...

2) new GUi class Tactical icons

- add abitily to enable weapon range radius circles (just informative for player to see ranges, weapons differ by colors)
- add ability to plot path u already flown, what i mean is something like engine trails but for tactical use ...
let say simple lines (for curves) of last 1000gu path
- plot approx course (300-500 gu) forward (calculated as simple line) ...

hopefully u understood what i mean, this is just to bring more tactical informations to players ...
also it will be nice if u can allow these informations to be shown for ships in same gang !!! too.

3) can You implement npatches and tesselation for DarkSpace (ATI cards)?
i get normally 100-250 fps and i find e.g. planets in DarkSpace still not enough "curved"

for npatch under DirectX 8 you need to use
for npatches you not need to made new models, it apply on these u already have

- check for NPatch support by checking D3DDIRECTDESC8::DevCaps & D3DDEVCAPS_NPATCHES
- pass D3DUSAGE_NPATCHES at D3DDEVICE8::CreateVertexBuffer when creating the objects vertex buffers
- call D3DDEVICE8::SetRenderState(D3DRS_PATCHSEGMENTS, FLOATtoDWORD(); before rendering

in general, the npatch level should be adaptive from the distance of the object or a game settings
if object is close, higher tesselation might be required
you can decide to which objects this apply or not ...

now you will ask why, answer is simple, if user wants get maximum of his card then he should get it,
supported by Radeons 8500-9200 (tens millions of cards) and 9500-9800 (millions of card owners).

with regards

Dwarden

[ This Message was edited by: Dwarden on 2003-08-11 12:41 ]

conswirloo [V]
Cadet

Posted: 2003-08-11 13:34   
Quote:

On 2003-08-11 12:40, Dwarden wrote:
1) add additional type of orbit - like geo-stationary orbit (synchronious orbit) where ship maintain orbit above same surface point...

why? it's confusing to follow shipyard, not for 1st time but for 200 time and so on it gets bit confusing...

Shipyards and depots both. I'd love to see this.

Quote:

2) new GUi class Tactical icons

- add abitily to enable weapon range radius circles (just informative for player to see ranges, weapons differ by colors)
- add ability to plot path u already flown, what i mean is something like engine trails but for tactical use ...
let say simple lines (for curves) of last 1000gu path
- plot approx course (300-500 gu) forward (calculated as simple line) ...

Range circles would be pretty cool, but would it key off of your ships installed weapons, could get messy with a battle dread, or would it only show up when your weapon arc displays(right click on weapon).

Just some thoughts

Email conswirloo [V]
Dwarden
Admiral
CHIMERA

Posted: 2003-08-11 14:15   
and i forgot another addon to Tactical gui :

- aibility to setup waypoints (course) and set ship to flow by them (let say you setup zig-zag path of 12 waypoints to fly throught danger area ...

You still can slightly manually alter course, but autopilot computer (new component will keep your ship after enable "within ~100gu left/right from defined path (between waypoints You set) ...

enabling / disabling autopilot is posible immediately but path will be not lost!

this is for tactics and can be cumulated for group fleet actions ... e.g. fleet formation editor and formation keeper (my old definition somewhere in archive).

MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2003-08-11 17:41   
How about, for depots, a new button gets added besides PAUSE/ RESUME/ SCRAP that lets you automatically stay in geosynchronous orbit above it? Cuz yes, it really is annoying to have to maneuver yourself constantly at the big planets to stay in the depot's range. This could pose big problems though for planets that are really close to each other and where flying around one would make you crash...

Or, if it's easier, make the depot's range larger than 100, OR scale it's range according to the planet's size. 100 range isn't very good for the huge planets; sometimes just orbiting keeps you out of the depot's range and you have to move closer and of course the rotation means you won't be in range for long.

For shipyards, is there a reason to want to stay in orbit above them? They have I think a 250gu range where you can activate them to change ships. So most of the time you can just jump to a planet and change ship right away. Is there something else shipyards do that I don't know about that requires you orbit?

And on a side note: Why aren't depots automatically repairing you when you get in range? I have to shoot them with torpedoes to 'get their attention'?

Page created in 0.007629 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR