Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +2.4 Days

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Relient
19th - Entil-Zha the Starkiller

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Weapon variations according to hull size...
 Author Weapon variations according to hull size...
Lith Ragond
Cadet
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2003-08-05 19:05   
Ok, this kinda sprang form some stuff said in many different posts.

Here's how it is WWII, the small hull class naval ships had smaller guns than the large hull class naval ships. you may say DUH right here, but think about it. the guns on the larger hulls had a larger barrel width (bigger ammo=harder hit) and a longer barrel length (longer barrel+bigger ammo=greater range & speed).

so... why not use this in DS? have each weapon class be dependant on hull size. so, in essense, a dreadnaughts torpedos will go faster, farther, and have more damage than a cruiser/destroyer. why? because they have more room for larger/longer torpedo bays... DUH .

what do u guys think?

Lith Ragond
Cadet
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2003-08-05 19:10   
ROFLMAO!

ok, apparently other people posted similiar ideas in diff thread, i just happened to miss them hehehe silly me *palm to forehead*

Lupino
Cadet

Posted: 2003-08-05 19:15   
Hmm, maybe not torpedoes, would there be a standard size for those? But I like the Idea of a Dread Railgun being the equivilent of a 16" gun, and a Destroyer Railgun a 5" gun

conswirloo [V]
Cadet

Posted: 2003-08-05 20:51   
I think torps should be standard, as well as missiles, variance due to hull size in those items should be limited to ammo quantity.

Torps is what made PT boats effective in combat, allowing a small, cheap ship to get in some killing blows on larger ships.

But weapon mounts should definitely scale to size

Email conswirloo [V]
Kaine Darkheart -SO-
Grand Admiral
Deicide

Posted: 2003-08-05 21:03   
good idea lith i love it... but... it kinda means a harder times for the n00bs... i mean a cruiser CAN destroy a dread... but with lighter ammo it will get the dread but it will take longer and there is a higher percent that the noob will die... i dono where im goin with this... sorry!

Email Kaine Darkheart -SO-
Lith Ragond
Cadet
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2003-08-05 21:26   
Quote:
Torps is what made PT boats effective in combat, allowing a small, cheap ship to get in some killing blows on larger ships.

and 1 WWII torpedo could sink a ship

i agree with the standard missles.

but p cannons... 7" on a dessie sounds nice... but what about those giant 24"s on some of those hardcore battleships i want "uber"cannons for dread size

now with torps... think about it. EAD = 4 Full, 2 Front, TC= 4 Full 1 Front... something seems a LIL odd about that... sure the EAD has the largest load out of CLs (non station) but CLs are good as they are, i think they are well balanced. i find torps to be the most unbalanced weapon on DS, why? because dessies and cruisers can eat up the (supposedly) most powerful ships in the game with them, and those ships have a chore trying to feather them off.

so, what i suggest (as above) is that weapons become relative. scenario: some dessie vs some dread. dessie is firing "smaller" torps and cannons at dread, dread cannot dodge them and is taking damage, dread fires torps at dessie, dessie is able to dodge torps with slight difficulty, yet cannons are hitting more often, once dessies armor is gone, dreads, armor is down to 50%. seems slight more balanced then current scenario: dessie vs dread, dread unable to hit dessie, dessie takes out all dreads armor and some hull. this way, 2 dessies would definently deter a single dread (providing the dessies dont mind some hull damage). *note: armor numbers are completely representible, just a rough idea.

to me, that is the "model" albeit a simple one, that DS should be, now obviously, with cruiser vs dread, the cruiser will begin getting into the dreads hull, and vice versa, but with the dread winning out. so 2 cruisers, = an obviously dead dread (whereas 1 cruiser = dead dread now).

these models are of course, for the most popular ships, the torp boats/dog fighting ships.

warren
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2003-08-05 21:42   
also biger ships would be able to carry more amo

AdmBito
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2003-08-05 21:55   
In real life, I believe that a torpedo is a torpedo is a torpedo. What I mean is, a torpedo on a destroyer has the same killing power as that on a battlership (which I don't think would be equipped with torpedos, or at least as many as in Darkspace). The advantage of the battleship in the olden' days is A) its proliferation of guns and B) its guns' enourmous size.

Gun size varied from country to country, but the latest and last battleships the United States built, the Iowa class, had 9 16-inch guns. The Japenese built a 2-ships class that a few 18-inch guns I believe, but that was as big as it got. Anything bigger would have blown the turret off the ship with the recoil systems in place at the times. There were larger coastal guns, but these were static, and didn't float in the ocean.

Back to Darkspace. With the improvements to guns in the patch and the scaling of weapon range and damage, maybe a new battleship is possible. If it were harder to dodge at mid-range, the Battle Dreadnaught would be a monster, and this may be what happens after the patch. Add in the fighters, and you are looking at something that will compliment the Elite Assault Dreadnaught and the Carrier Dreadnaught very well.

I seem to have run off on a tangent, so one last thought: personally, I'd like to see a big, fat warship, When this, we'll call it a battleship, shows up, people crap on themselves and the battle may turn. Of course, for this to be possible, there couldn't be al of Pitch Black flying them.......Which brings me to my next tangent of this never ending rant/post: New rank/removing the rank cap. Even if there is only one more ship for the people with 80??? pretige, it would help limit how many are in the MV, and give bored FAs something to renew there interest in the game.

Anywho, if you followed this post from beginning to end, I reward you with the "I'm a G of a Post Reader" Badge. Wear it proudly, my sons.

Bito

Puppies gotta die, too.

Sandals
Fleet Admiral
Agents

Posted: 2003-08-06 00:53   
~~~

I believe this is already implemented! Check the admin meeting logs.

DOM700 [-IMO-]
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2003-08-06 01:08   
Lol, I want to see a dread size ship with a single gauss gun which acceleration chambers are all over the ship so it has nearly unlimited range

Never forget what you fight for
I have earned my betatester badge for being part of the open beta

Email DOM700 [-IMO-]   Goto the website of DOM700 [-IMO-]
DaMadCow
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2003-08-06 03:16   
Quote:

On 2003-08-05 21:03, Agent_Tart {C?} -[Flipper Force]- wrote:
good idea lith i love it... but... it kinda means a harder times for the n00bs...

what noobs

Email DaMadCow
Deleted
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2003-08-06 03:34   
yeah maybe this should be implemented. its pretty stupid for my Heavy cruiser with torps and sabots to jump to a EAD and blow 40% of its hull before it even damages 1% of mine.

thebold
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2003-08-06 03:55   
Quote:

On 2003-08-05 21:42, Weasel man wrote:
also biger ships would be able to carry more amo

my idea exactly
it was a shame no one supported it enoughe to go any further than that

Proud Fleet Admin of [BIS]

[ This Message was edited by: thebold[Dog of War] on 2003-08-06 03:56 ]

Page created in 0.019481 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR