No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +4.1 Days

Search

Anniversaries

1st - UntenHund

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Beta Testing Discussion » » Upgrade Live to 1.481 now
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
 Author Upgrade Live to 1.481 now
Kaine Darkheart -SO-
Grand Admiral
Deicide

Posted: 2003-08-04 14:20   
haha demorian got you!

Email Kaine Darkheart -SO-
Demorian
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2003-08-04 14:25   
WhiteWolf... I don't mean to be rude, but I just think you're being a bit closed-minded. Go play beta for a few hours, complete with combat with enemy ships and such.

See what you think.

-Dem

Sandals
Fleet Admiral
Agents

Posted: 2003-08-04 14:29   
Quote:

In 1.480, ships can disappear completely without warning (discoes)

Uncontrollable by Palestar-- the vast majority of discoes are due to player's connections.

Quote:

, you can see other people doing damage to you, you CAN fire back, but your projectiles don't do any damage to them

Only when you have bad latency issues, which, again, are Internet and ISP related, the vast majority of the time.

Quote:

----Some people experience serious rendering errors on higher end Radeon graphics cards.

News to me, and High-end Radeon is what I've got.

Quote:

Troops don't capture a planet until all the enemy troops die, which can take forever, and troops can't capture death stars.

This is endemic to the game design of 1.480B, which on this topic has been nearly the same for....years, even. 1.481 will involve a much different game design, and this is being changed.

WhiteWolf
Cadet

Posted: 2003-08-04 14:30   
Quote:

On 2003-08-04 14:06, Spiritlift wrote:
atm alot of us cant logon to beta or release gcql so yeah well ...

umm anyway .. tell me whitewolf . what use it is to pay $18 AUS a month to play something that is no fun ??
cuase from my personal opinion of the beta iz quite simply it is no fun.
(I have had it since F released it & Played many many hours on it) & Juz in case you have an excuse for recent updates .. i recently spent 12hr hit on it & only ended up building as it was pretty much the only thing to do .

@Faustus .. Keep 1.476 up .. If you can add uniserver & fix a few things like the PD toggle & interface .. implement a faction balance plan & maybe add some new ships or weapons .. aside from that Leave as is ..nerfing everything that makes the game fun will only drive players away .

The problem is, I'm just as frustrated with 1.480 as you are with 1.481.

I CAN'T PLAY IN THE MV. I get discoed constantly. Every 5-10 minutes.

I get stuck in gate all the time. This is a big problem when I'm in enemy space.
I loose ships in the home gate all the time.
what use is it to pay $18 of this?

The optimum situation is one which the dev team should have listened to me before.

Ignore all balance and gameplay issues for 1.481. Don't change the number of infantry on planets. Don't change the jump with speed or without speed thing. If Cl2ks are getting removed from kluth, provide some sort of compenstation, especially for the larger kluth ships (nothing wrong with cl2ks on cruisers/dreads/stations---I've always said that, look it up in the forum records--I've just said remove them from dessies).

Make the universe server. Fix the connectivity problems. Make it so that people who PAY for the game, can PLAY the game.

I agree with you about the balance stuff. Changing all that was stupid. 1.481 should have been a backend server rewrite, thats all.

But the situation now is something completly different. We have a choice of
a)Broken 1.480, with almost perfect balance (just 1 or 2 issues). Major connectivity issues.
b)Buggy 1.481, with unknown balance issues. Superior connectivity, many, many moderatately serious gameplay issues.

Staying with 1.480 indefinetly is not an option. Someday soon, Spirit, your going to have to accept that the changes to balance 1.481 will bring are coming.

The question is, how long are we willing to stick with the broken connectivity of 1.480?

For me, I can't bear to stick with it anylonger. The game simply does not work for me. I missed darkspace, so I resubscribed. Now that I've resubscribed, I remember why I unsubscribed in the first place. Because the game is unplayable for me, even with a rock solid connection, on top of the line hardware.

WhiteWolf
Cadet

Posted: 2003-08-04 14:37   
Quote:

On 2003-08-04 14:29, Calamity Clogs wrote:
Quote:

In 1.480, ships can disappear completely without warning (discoes)

Uncontrollable by Palestar-- the vast majority of discoes are due to player's connections.
Quote:

, you can see other people doing damage to you, you CAN fire back, but your projectiles don't do any damage to them

Only when you have bad latency issues, which, again, are Internet and ISP related, the vast majority of the time.

I call BS
This is patently untrue.
I've got two systems sitting side by side (this is both at school, and again at home---two different broadband ISPs).

I've verified that my connection remains up while playing in the MV. I've verified that I can ping the mv servers will i'm playing in the MV. I've got no latency issues, and no connectivity issues, to anywhere else.

But I still get discoed, regularly. I still get stuck in gate. While having sub-100ms pings to the servers.

The reason this stuff occurs is because of palestar. Its because there is only 1 connection to the database from the metaserver, or something like that.

These problems did not exist in 1.476. I did not have these connectivity issues, once upon a time. The game used to work fine for me.

Judging by the player online numbers, judging by the number of people in Fleet Admiral, judging by the inability to run fleet wars anymore-----
The inability of the mv to sustain more than 20-30 people---The inability of fleet admiral to operate around 40, where it used to be able to do 60-80....

Something has degraded in 1.480. The game no longer works as it used to. A downgrade, or an upgrade, is called for.

I really like to play darkspace. I can't stand this game when I'm getting constantly disconnected, though.

Sandals
Fleet Admiral
Agents

Posted: 2003-08-04 14:42   
I'm not sure what the problem is. I know the DS release servers have been cranky of late, but F said that that was primarily because of the POS server code. So now we have the Uniserver....

but i never get these random discoes

do you run a firewall?

how's your packet-loss statistics?

*edit*

the rendering bug with camera angles is EXTREMELY annoying and would be very very bad in a release game. There are other issues as bad or worse. They NEED to be fixed FIRST.

[ This Message was edited by: Calamity Clogs on 2003-08-04 14:47 ]

thebold
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2003-08-04 14:43   
the beta doesnt work. there are sync issues that make planets useless the uggy cannons are to uber do you know what your even asking for'?

WhiteWolf
Cadet

Posted: 2003-08-04 14:46   
Quote:

On 2003-08-04 14:42, Calamity Clogs wrote:
I'm not sure what the problem is. I know the DS release servers have been cranky of late, but F said that that was primarily because of the POS server code. So now we have the Uniserver....
but i never get these random discoes
do you run a firewall?
how's your packet-loss statistics?

No firewall.
How do I check my packet-loss statistics?

Pope
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2003-08-04 14:48   
as i understand your ramblings, the world would be a perfect place if everyone simply listened to you.

Specterx
Fleet Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2003-08-04 14:59   
Demorian,

Since "we" want this to be a flawless release, how about getting an official acknowledgement (from a dev team member, mind you) that the absurd EMP/Pcannon damage is a *bug* and not an attempt to slip in some undocumented anti-k'luth changes.

As for releasing 1.481 now.... terrifying idea. Lag-free? For me it's like my ping is 1000ms and I'm getting 50% packet loss. All you have to do is spawn your ship to experience the invisibility bug. Bombing seems to not work, inf landing has bugs... in fact this is the buggiest beta I can remember.

Better to wait another couple of months, just unsubscribe until then, if you wish.

Also, 1.480 is hardly "broken". It may not work as well as previous releases, but if you're the only one who can't play it, that's tbh not everyone else's problem.

[ This Message was edited by: Specterx on 2003-08-04 15:01 ]

Email Specterx   Goto the website of Specterx
WhiteWolf
Cadet

Posted: 2003-08-04 15:23   
Quote:

Better to wait another couple of months, just unsubscribe until then, if you wish.
Also, 1.480 is hardly "broken". It may not work as well as previous releases, but if you're the only one who can't play it, that's tbh not everyone else's problem.

Well, since I'm a customer, I didn't think it was MY problem.

BTW: Have you noticed the player count lately? I'm not the only one having problems.

Fine. I'm leaving. Too bad I wasted another $10 on this game. I thought it would be fun. I was looking forward to logging into the MV. I was looking forward to playing alongside my fleetmates.

I guess it was not to be. If anyone wants to see me, I might be in beta, occassionally.

Otherwise, goodbye.

Anubis132
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2003-09-23 18:30   
I just stepped in to say that I have agreements on both sides. Wolf is very right that NO patch -no matter how long it's tested- is bug free. Ever. In every MMOG I've played, large, 'new and big feature' patches are released to the main servers as soon as the biggest bugs are at least slaked. The public then plays it, which is higher quality testing for the dev team than would be on beta servers. After the big patch is sent out, small single-purpose patches are then released very often to fix bugs as reports come in (faster and more than on a beta server).

Reminds me of Anarchy Online. It sucked, was extremely laggy, and had huge bugs, but they released a patch every or every other day, then the game was awesome.

I'll definetally agree with Dem, if he's talking about big bugs, but if we're waiting for small bugs to be rolled flat, then that's sorta pointless.

I've found a universal rule for programs: NO PROGRAM IS 100% BUG-FREE. EVER.

Thank you.

What is mind?
Doesn't matter.
What is matter?
Nevermind.

Goto the website of Anubis132
little_chaoz(affe force)
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2003-09-23 18:45   
hey atleast u guys can get into the beta server, i cant because, first off im running a vanta LT, REALLY REALLY old, and i dont seem to have an option of changing my screen size, and it keeps saying check your setup. so i cant see what its like in there nemore. So no dont release it yet, many of us ppl who dont have high end computers (running something other than an ATI, Voodoo, Geforece, or nething above 20$ on the market) we *might* not be able to play, so that would lose my subscription until it was fixed. so no, dun release it yet, iv been here for over a year now, and i may have some issues with how the game is, but i dont care im here to stay until i run out of money.

Isaac Asimov

Email little_chaoz(affe force)
NoPants2win
Cadet

Posted: 2003-09-23 18:52   
Go play the beta a bit more wolfy. The lag is massive. Planet cappin works like crap, and scouts can take down kluth cruisers. And it crashes a lot. And I can barely even spawn. And even when I do I get an fps of around 12, sitting in empty space. Somethin aint right there. Just because your comp is POS doesnt mean the rest of us should be subjected to that sort of pain.

Goto the website of NoPants2win
MOC
Admiral

Posted: 2003-09-23 18:57   
I'd like a cheesesteak with no fried onions,and pickles ,thanx

sorry wrong fourm

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Page created in 0.024589 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR