No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +2.9 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Jump Drives
 Author Jump Drives
JediKnight
Admiral

Posted: 2003-08-02 01:34   
I have a different take on the matter so I figure it needs its own post. First of all the JD's are already set to use more/less fuel depending on which ship you are using correct?

I'd rather take the Star Wars approach to things, the bigger your ship is the faster it can jump but the slower it's sublight speed is. I guess the thinking behind it is that a bigger ship can mount massive engines. This also allows big ships to chase down little ones

Then, keep those stupid jumpgates out of the game and make the jumpdrives that much faster. Here is an example of a revamped system:

Ship Class Cruising Speed LongJump Speed Overdrive Ability
Scout 1200 gu/sec 2000 gu/sec 2200 gu/sec
Frigate 1400 gu/sec 2200 gu/sec 2400 gu/sec
Destroyer 1800 gu/sec 2400 gu/sec 2800 gu/sec
Cruiser 2200 gu/sec 2800 gu/sec 3000 gu/sec
Dreadnought 2600 gu/sec 3000 gu/sec 3400 gu/sec
Station 3000 gu/sec 3400 gu/sec 3600 gu/sec

I set it up so that a smaller ship can be chased down by the ship class below it at normal speeds and then simply pursued when you push it into overdrive, which in turn damages your engines and can say... only run for maybe 30 seconds before it burns out your jump drive.

We could play with these numbers say perhaps there would be an interceptor class Destroyer with slightly higher numbers or maybe the AMJD (which should be stock on all K'luth like Tachyon is stock on Human) would have slightly different numbers as well.

I suppose this emphasizes the fleet battle portion of the game but I think it would also be neat when say three or four ships is picking on something smaller the small ship has a chance at getting away from say a ship one class higher but not two unless they are lucky. Likewise a dreadnought shouldn't fear a destroyer because it can burn out of there and leave a big dust trail.

Also to appease the crowds, why not make modifications available, now for some reason we're locked into the idea that to modify meant to replace, so why not allow for upgrades. I'd sure love my frigate to be able to hand a cruiser it's hind end on a plate (Millenium Falcon).

So think about these things

Tom

[ This Message was edited by: JediKnight on 2003-08-02 01:35 ]

Goto the website of JediKnight
'A1Tyrael
Cadet

Posted: 2003-08-02 01:37   
shmeh

Hello Joe! ;)

Page created in 0.007058 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR