No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +2.8 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Dreadnought (UPGRADE!)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
 Author Dreadnought (UPGRADE!)
WhiteWolf
Cadet

Posted: 2003-07-31 17:26   
2 thoughts---

1. No human auto repair.

2. To solve the dread=jack of all trades problem.
Add a rolling upkeep.
I'm not quite certain how this would work, but I have a couple ideas. I'll post them later, since this is stuff that would come WAY after the balance patch.

In the short run, instead of a rolling upkeep (which is the sensible, dynamic solution), implement a 'max' in system cap.

Base this on the number of ranked players around.

Fleet admiral is what, the 12 rank? So if there are 2 fleet admirals, 3 admirals, 5 vice admirals, there would be a total of:
2x12+3x11+5x10=107 rank units.
Then have stations 'consume' 40 rank units, assault dreads consume 12 rank units, regular dreads consume 10 rank units, cruisers consume 7 rank units, and dessies consume 2 rank units. Supply ships and troop ships should consume 'negative' rank units, so they would provide a couple.

Tweak these numbers such that---the largest ship a fleet admiral could command by himself is an assault dread. Admirals and vice admirals could only get regular dreads, if they were by themselves. Etc, etc. . . .
This means that you can't get the bigger ships into the fight, unless other players are 'underusing' their rank units. In order for 1 fleet admiral to get out a station, several fleet admirals/admirals/vice admirals etc. . . will have to fly ships much lower than the rank entails, in order to balance out the equation.

If you are flying with much lower ranked wingmates, they'll have to bring out support craft to assist in the balance.

This could also work in the context of grouping, but I don't know.

Obviously, this is a very ROUGH idea, and as I just explained, won't work. With some tweaking, however, it could establish the 'proper' pyramid distribution of ships that I believe most individuals want to see in the MV.

Deleted
Cadet

Posted: 2003-07-31 17:28   
Quote:

On 2003-07-31 02:50, DOM700 [-IMO-] wrote:
I don't see any reason to change dreads right now

I agree I think there fine, if u have some major problem with the Combat dread then dont use it? the Assault Cruiser is much better than any ICC dread.

WhiteWolf
Cadet

Posted: 2003-07-31 18:10   
Also, I do agree that assault dreads should get MORE firepower---

But----
they should only be able to cover 2 ranges of combat. Either close and long, or close and medium, or medium and long.

So an assault dread with fighters, missiles, and torps is okay. Just don't give it any beams.

Or give an assault dread fighters, missiles, and beams. Or beams, torps, and ar missiles. Etc, Etc.

In my mind, the weapons classify like this.

Ex-Long/Long: Fighters, PCM, bombs.
Long: IT Missiles
Intermediate: P cannons, Railguns, Gauss gun, Ar missile, psi missile
Intermediate/Short: Psi cannon, Torps
Short: Beams/Heavy beams

Assault dreads should DOMINATE in two of the categories, but be vulnerable in the other. So if the dread doesn't have adequate short range firepower, a pair of cruisers should be able to get in under weapons range and heavily damage the dread easily. Or if the dread doesn't have good long range weaponry, missile/battle/heavy cruisers should be able to harass from 1000 gu out, 'shadowing' the dread because it is unable to catch up to them.

An assault dread with 8-9 full torps and 4-6 psi missiles would be NEAT. Make sure to give it only 2 full beam (not heavy beam) weapons, and it suddenly becomes vulnerable to both missile attacks, and a beam cruiser, if such a ship is ever allowed.

Or give the assault dread 4 full heavy beams, 2 front heavy beams, 4 full it missiles, 2 front it missiles, 3 fighters, and 4 ar missiles.

2 torp/assault cruisers should be able to eat it for lunch, but such a ship would be able to waste hordes of non-torpedo ships.

This is further accentuated if the dreads are only given a few special slots. Add this to my rank system above, and then you have the fundamentals of tactical group activity (i.e. 4 fleet admirals will fly 1 supply ship, 2 assault cruisers, and 1 assault dread, instead of 3 assault dreads and a station).

Indeed, this combination of tactics allow for other interesting developments:
For example, a command assault cruiser could be created. Give this ship 2-4 fighters, 4 weapons, 2 heavy beams, 2 beams, and 3 special slots. Make it consume 10-12 rank units, but be avaliable at the rank of commander. This would encourage lower ranked players to form the same sort of tactical groups, only with smaller ships (1 command assault cruiser, 2 combat destroyers, 1 assault frigate, and a supply?).

Just my 20000 cents

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2003-08-04 04:38   
Thats not a bad idea really Whitewolf.

Okay, NERF the fighters, goodbye, so long, but let the Assault Dreads have the missles, they need sometehing that can tail smaller craft.

So it would have 6-7 Full mount torps, 3-4 Missle slots and maybe 2 - 4 Beams (either all heavy or all light) for PD cover.

-Ent

Lark of Serenity
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2003-08-04 15:39   
the dreads we have now are fine if u ask me (with the exception of the ICC combat dread and all 3 kluth dreads which are basically the same ship over and over again. and ganglia with 2 reloads? *cough*)

the whole point is its absolutely required for a dreadnaught to have help around. its required for ALL ships. one anything shouldnt be able to take out 2 of anything else by itself. i find the AD EXTREMELY effective when coupled with cruisers and destroyers. modded with psi missiles its a good medium range and close range vessel. close jumping enemy destroyers has never been so much fun. personally i think, with the exception of kluth dreads and the CD, no real changes are required (possibly the command dreads as well). but the EAD and AD are fine.

if u want long range, take a carrier or MD. short/medium range, take the EAD or AD. they fill out their roles perfectly in a fleet environment. basically your trying to make it so all possible combat methods are rolled into one dread, which isnt the way the game is suppose to work.

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2003-08-04 18:01   
*bump*

g0ds s0ldier
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2003-08-04 18:09   
Quote:

On 2003-08-04 15:39, Lark of Serenity {C?} wrote:

ganglia with 2 reloads?

Asslt Crusier with 6 FULL Mount torps, Armor on all sides plus a Full armor, and 2 Specials slots? Please Ganglia is a easy target to kill even with 2 Reload AND the Autorepair, the thing still dies easy...

and about Humans getting a Autorepair type of sys and Kluth...dont make stupid suggjestions like that again Enterprise

Axianda The Royal
Fleet Admiral
Terra Squadron

Posted: 2003-08-04 18:18   
All i can say about dreads is that they ALL need a armor/hull boost.

- Axi

Antdizzle

Posted: 2003-08-04 19:24   
Quote:

On 2003-07-31 17:26, WhiteWolf wrote:

Tweak these numbers such that---the largest ship a fleet admiral could command by himself is an assault dread. Admirals and vice admirals could only get regular dreads, if they were by themselves. Etc, etc. . . .
This means that you can't get the bigger ships into the fight, unless other players are 'underusing' their rank units. In order for 1 fleet admiral to get out a station, several fleet admirals/admirals/vice admirals etc. . .

no..?

I actually think the ganglia needs more at this point i consider the siphon better than the ganglia

[ This Message was edited by: Sarge [Asgard]{Thor} on 2003-08-04 19:27 ]

Sandals
Fleet Admiral
Agents

Posted: 2003-08-04 19:29   
The Assault-class Dreadnoughts should be none-capable against smaller craft, excluding its beam armament. So forget all that stuff. I think all the Assaults should lose all but a pittance of Weapon slots.

Lupino
Cadet

Posted: 2003-08-04 20:02   
Agree, Assault Dreads should be designed to kick the crud outta other big ships, but have problems with smaller, nimbler ships and projectiles (missiles/fighters). Combay Dreads maybe a couple Weapon slots, but not enough to not require assistance against the small types of ships.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Page created in 0.021813 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR