Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +2.4 Days

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Relient
19th - Entil-Zha the Starkiller

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » A quick change to the ICC combat dread to make it a bit more usefull.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
 Author A quick change to the ICC combat dread to make it a bit more usefull.
Sandals
Fleet Admiral
Agents

Posted: 2003-07-31 15:43   
Well, my view is-- The Combat Dread only makes sense when compared to the Battle Dread. It's a little weaker, but not extraordinarily so. (Stock.)
Its major advantage over the AD is that is a support ship of sorts, carrying 3 specials slots.

Well, the theory is that: ICC= missiles at long range and UGTO= fighters at long range.

So that's why the BD mounts 2 heavy slots and 7(?) weapons slots, and 4 fighters, whereas the CD mounts 6 heavy slots, 3(?) weapons, and 3 fighters. On that comparison, the CD makes more sense. Unfortunately Missiles are not good enough any more to compensate for the limited arc on the Combat Dread.

But you don't want the Combat Dread to be a Missile Dread, nor do you want it to be an Assault Dread. So you can't really increase the number of heavy slots, OR make the slots full-mounted.

So what it needs, probably, is more Weapon slots. And the regular ICC AD needs LESS Weapon slots. Alternatively you could add another couple of missiles and dump the PCM.

But you see, the BD/CD are supposed to be all-range or mid/long-range combatants, of sorts. For ICC that dictates mounting at least some missiles.

That was sort of disconnected. I think I didn't get enough sleep

Jim Starluck
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2003-07-31 16:02   
YES PLEASE! GIVE ICC SOMETHING WITH MORE THAN FOUR WEAPON SLOTS! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD (or Faustus, whichever you prefer)!!!!!

Email Jim Starluck
DaMadCow
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2003-07-31 16:44   
well you also dont want the combat dread to be a clone of the BD.

Email DaMadCow
WhiteWolf
Cadet

Posted: 2003-07-31 18:28   
People keep ignoring me, but----(I've made this suggestion before)

Take away all of the combat dreads heavy weapon slots. Give it 7 forward ar missiles.

Voila! Different than the battle dread, but still very effective.
While we are changing it, dump this sill 3 heavy beam arrangement. Its really boring that many of the dreads have it. Give the combat dread 2 light beams, and 2 heavy beams. Make the heavy beams forward only, and the light beams full.

Don't tell me that putting pulse into the light beams will make a huge difference----dreads are too big to get more than 2 pulse shots off (unless you are retreating), and too slow to allow missiles to streak by you.

You can fire 7 ar missiles forward, or 4 railguns or ar missiles in any direction.

Still an effective missile ship, but not a good cannon ship. Refit the railguns to ar missiles for optimum configuration.

This would make the combat dread a good saturation ship to fly alongside missile dreads.
You would have a fleet of missile dreads for long range attacks, combat dreads/heavy cruisers for intermediate range, and assault cruisers for short range.
The ICC, for a missile faction, doesn't have enough light missile ships(IMHO). This is a big deal, 'cause ar missiles do more damage over time than IT missiles. Of course you pay for it in range terms, but that is neither here nor there.

Just my 20000 cents.

Juxtapose
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2003-07-31 19:15   
Whitewolf!

YES! Perfect! That is exactly the config that I'm thinking of!

Your eloquence and conciseness was what was lacking from my pathetic explanation of what I wanted!

The Light beams are perfect because pulse beam mods are what ICC does! The AR is perfect because they are missles, but not missles that can be turned to useless forward mounted Torps!

Give us a few more fighters and viola! ICC should definetely NOT have a carrier dread! but ICC should be able to utilize some of the new fighter types...(the UGTO can mount missles galore if they wanted too)

But...yes, Whitewolf's idea is exactly what I am begging for!

Jim Starluck
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2003-07-31 21:48   
So, let's see here...4 full-arc Railguns, 6-7 (I would say 6 myself) fore-arc AR missiles, 2 fore-arc CL-1000s, 2 full-arc CL-550's, 1 ECM, 1 ECCM, 1 Tractor Beam.

Sounds good to me! =D

Email Jim Starluck
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Page created in 0.019801 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR