No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +4.9 Days

Search

Anniversaries

15th - Rise

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Engineering!
 Author Engineering!
JediKnight
Admiral

Posted: 2003-07-17 12:36   
PLEASE put the engineering screen back to the way it was before where clicking research would automatically expand the tree. It was so nice to be able to cue up all the research right away. Not only that but it helps new players learn the trees quicker.

J

Goto the website of JediKnight
Axianda The Royal
Fleet Admiral
Terra Squadron

Posted: 2003-07-17 13:17   
Quote:

On 2003-07-17 12:36, JediKnight wrote:
PLEASE put the engineering screen back to the way it was before where clicking research would automatically expand the tree. It was so nice to be able to cue up all the research right away. Not only that but it helps new players learn the trees quicker.

J

Got to agree whit that.

- Axi

DOM700 [-IMO-]
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2003-07-17 15:03   
1. It is the research queque in the Planet Management Interface (f5), engineering is f3
2. I got to agree with that, everyone knows the technologies, so should the planets

Never forget what you fight for
I have earned my betatester badge for being part of the open beta

Email DOM700 [-IMO-]   Goto the website of DOM700 [-IMO-]
JediKnight
Admiral

Posted: 2003-07-18 02:30   
BUMP!
And I'll continue to do so till I get a yes/no from the powers that be.

Goto the website of JediKnight
Pentara
Cadet

Posted: 2003-07-18 03:03   
The whole point of changing it was so that you couldn't just que up all the research on a planet and leave it be. This way it requires at least a little bit of work and dedication to build up a planet. As you know, especially in the MV, once a planet is built it takes a lot of work to bring it down again. This way, the window of opportunity for say a single bomber is increased. It's fine as it is. And now, especially in those far off systems, you need to stay there and work on the system to actually build it up.

It's great as it currently is.

NightDragon
Cadet

Posted: 2003-07-18 04:47   
it takes alot to bring it down? have you ever played MV? if you scrap the hub, all tech gets erased, its like pushing the reset button on the planet and whipe the memories of all the people

and bombing isnt any big deal, now in the MV it is, big time, becuase your only allowed to drop the max number of bombs the ship can hold. so no more supplys just more bombers

[Where is that erase memories button on this planet? it needs to be pushed i think]

MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2003-07-18 10:25   
No it's not great as it currently is.

For experienced engineers it's just a minor setback.

For newer players, it's engineering hell. Most just research everything that shows up, wait till it's all done, then que everything that shows up next, wait till it's done, que the next batch etc. etc.

There's no way for them to know that the AR missile that IE drive allows will allow IT missile, and that that will allow Defense base. They either have to learn that from someone like me on the newbie server, or know where to look in the forums.

The current system does require more babysitting, but it's detrimental to the growth of the game.

Ok, if you don't believe me, put yourself in a new player's shoes and try to tackle that research system. Then compare it to a new player tackling the old system that showed branching trees.

Juxtapose
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2003-07-18 10:44   
Sounds like the problem isn't the way Engineering is set up but in the lack of guidelines/Tech-tree discription in the Manual.

Perhaps, when pushing f1 when on the F5 screen a tech-tree can appear that breaks down what researching what does.

Personally, I think the current method of engineering is the appropriate one just needs more helpful info

Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2003-07-18 11:17   
Quote:

Sounds like the problem isn't the way Engineering is set up but in the lack of guidelines/Tech-tree discription in the Manual.

Perhaps, when pushing f1 when on the F5 screen a tech-tree can appear that breaks down what researching what does.

having the trees in the manual would be great, though hardly any of the newbies read the manual, so there should be some way of viewing it in-game. putting it on F1 for the F5 screen is a great idea.

what MrSparkle said is also soemthing that needs addressing, its not uncommon to run across a planet on the newb server with only one research lab and as many techs as possible in the queue with research times that are through the roof.

also there just isnt anything in the manual on what to build (RE: planets built by idiots thread), only how to build. building section

[btw... anyone else notice that jux's sig spells " .kjugx " ?]

MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2003-07-18 11:25   
Actually Juxtapose you're kinda right. It's the fact that there's no accessible tech trees.

There should be a tech tree button on the F5 screen. Maybe the manual too but it would be more useful ingame.

For those that don't have every faction's tree memorized, they can simply click this button to see how to get certain techs, and it would preserve our current research que system.

It would also be of huge benefit to newer players that find the current system rather imposing.

EDIT: even like you said Jux, maybe even descriptions of what each tech does.

"What's an interdictor base? How do I get to research flux wave? How do I get defense bases?" They can all be answered with the tech tree button! How nice it would be to have...

[ This Message was edited by: MrSparkle on 2003-07-18 11:29 ]

NightDragon
Cadet

Posted: 2003-07-18 11:34   
i think they need to make a prement link to that one person's post who made a really nice tech tree, and put it in the manual

Hitman23
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2003-07-18 11:43   
I think the original idea was to keep the players at the planets. I would have prefered it if they got rid of remote building and kept the research tree the way it was.

If you want people to have to use all the ships at some point and have fixed fleets then this would be the way to go. As it stands now, all you need the engie for is to build a hub. All that changing the research tree accomplished was slow people down.

Hmmm, I just remembered another reason for it. I may be wrong but Faustus changed it so that it would be easier to add items to the research tree. If that is the case then I can live with what we have.

Email Hitman23
Page created in 0.022935 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR