No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +2.9 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Fan Fiction » » Jupiter Fleet - Yes, its actually an update
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
 Author Jupiter Fleet - Yes, its actually an update
Daylight \"The Beginning\"
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2003-08-20 21:42   
I WANT MORE!

Email Daylight \
Tbone
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2003-08-20 22:06   
These things take time. And I have university starting in two weeks too. So I might only get one more chapter done.

Email Tbone
Tbone
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2003-08-30 18:18   
Chapter 7: Complexities:

A week passed after the small skirmish at the jump gate. Communications received from Ross 148 reported good progress with the fleet taking back Ross 1, Ross 3, and Ida and were about to attack El. Devine had been right about the fleet’s power. In several battles they had been outnumbered 2 to 1, but still emerged victorious. Losses were moderate, but manageable, and they had no intention of stopping either way.

After the transports made it through the gate, Devine had secluded himself in his quarters, which had been outfitted with tactical overlays of each planet and their moons and a direct access to all data collected, being collected, and would be collected in the main computer core. Using his implants, he could connect directly into the computer circuits (also a special hook-up) and sift through data faster then anyone on board.

Several times, Stewart or another officer had gone to his quarters only to find him every time hooked up. They assumed he was eating and drinking, but no one had seen him do anything except sit in his quarters, oblivious to his surroundings.

Attacks, meanwhile, had stepped up somewhat on Mars and Jupiter. The small reserve fleet in the Jovian system was twice forced to fall into the innards of the lunar system, leaving the planets themselves to fight off the invaders. A transport was actually able to get in range to release several drop pods, and although they were destroyed by planetary lasers, the fact they were even dropped was scary. Mars, on the other hand, didn’t suffer as much as Jupiter. Of the two attacks, neither had any transport ships, so they were there simply to try to destroy the UGTO. But the fact that no transports were sent along meant that they didn’t really expect to. The pirates were still somewhat surprising to the K’luth fleets. Since the only fleets that had fought the two were destroyed or effectively out of action, all the other K’luth commanders had no idea what to expect out of the pirates.

With the fleet in Ross 148 doing significant damage, reinforcements coming into the Sol system had also slowed to a crawl. A small blockade was established along probably jump paths between the Sol and Wolf 359 gate in Ross. Interdictors and several cruiser squadrons made up these and while they couldn’t stop everything, they made many ships think twice about taking the fastest path. The Ross fleet had even reported intercepting and destroying a Hive headed for the Sol gate, presumably to replace the still crippled one in Sol.

Back in the Jovian system, several flag officers had been quietly grumbling about how fast their offensive had been moving. Devine had been leaving no chance for rest and recuperation and barely enough for rearming and repair. Devine had responded by saying that the K’luth had shown themselves quite able to bring in reinforcements quite quickly. Until the UGTO had a buffer of at least one system, that being Ross 148, Devine would continue to suggest the fervent pace to the admiral. Stewart agreed with Devine, and the attacks would continue. “This is a fight for our lives,” Stewart had said. “This isn’t the time for R&R, this is war.”

Devine was giving another briefing, but this time to every flag officer in the fleet; Vice Admiral Davies of the Marauder, Vice Admiral Samia of the Intrepid, Rear Admiral Bishop of the Constellation, and Rear Admiral Fitzgerald of the Apollo, along with their first officers, ship operations officers, and various department heads. A makeshift briefing room was set-up in one of the cargo bays to accommodate the gathering.

“This plan is absurd,” said Davies. “I do not see how it could be even remotely possible with our current resources.”

“Vice admiral, I will once again ask you to let Mr. Devine finish,” Stewart said calmly for the third time. “You can dislike the idea all you want, but I will not accept criticism until we have actually heard the plan behind the idea.”

Davies sat back in his chair and mumbled something under his breath. Stewart, nor anybody else, cared to hear what it was.

Stewart nodded at Devine, who once again started his briefing. “Thank you, admiral. My plan, once again, is to make three simultaneous strikes against the remaining outer planets, excluding Saturn for obvious reasons. Taking Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto will allow us to accomplish three notable objectives.

“One: we will be able to use the repair and rearm facilities on the moon of Neptune, Triton. These facilities were state of the art, and were being tested on the Neptune fleet for their effectiveness just before the K’luth struck. All reports said they worked perfectly under all possible conditions. They are totally automated in the delivery of ammunition and other supplies and also employ the latest in nano-technology to repair damaged hull and armor plates at almost the molecular level. These facilities can rearm a ship at least 4 times as fast as those we have here in the Jovian system and the nano machines, working on such a small level, can repair our plating to almost what they were before any damage occurred to them, in about half the time it takes our normal worker bees.

“The second advantage we could gain is the large store of ammunition on the four main Uranus moons, Ariel, Umbriel, Titania, and Oberon. Our supply situation, while not exactly grim at the moment, is approaching the danger levels. The pirates and privateers we have recruited also need constant reloads of ammo. Their ships, while carrying military grade weapons, do not have the power and weapon systems we have. Their particle cannons, for instance, use up to three times the amount of power stores ours do due to their inferior systems. The same is the case for their lasers. The stores on the moons also include a large hold out of IT Missiles, which would allow us to add approximately 3 months onto the supply in Jupiter if we would ever need it.

“The last objective to be achieved from taking the outer planets would be Pluto. While Pluto has no strategic importance, its tactical significance is gigantic. It is the only planet in the entire Sol system that has been found to contain Urdanium, a key component in many weapon systems and ammunition of both human technology as well as K'luth. The K’luth’s anti-matter technologies have been observed to be especially dependant on this substance. Cutting them off from their supply of this will deal a severe blow to their resupply efforts. Taking these planets and their moons will be a matter of destroying the fleet guarding them, not a ground battle as was the case at Mars since the only things that live down there must live in habitat domes.”

A few various admirals were nodding at the reasoning behind it, but Davies was not entirely convinced. “Very well thought out, Mr. Devine. Very well, indeed,” Davies said in considerably more controlled tones. “But I have one question: Why must we hit these targets at the same time? Like I stated before, the ships we have available are too few to do anything like this.”

“We wouldn’t do it by ourselves, rear admiral,” Devine stated.

“You speak in riddles, Mr. Devine, as you often do. If you have some kind of secret plan up your sleeve, then just come out with it. I do not like guessing games.”

“Very well, rear admiral, I will ‘come out with it,’ as you said. “Yesterday we received word that the fleet in Ross 148 had secured El and were preparing to attack Ross 4 correct?” Davies nodded, though he needn’t have bothered. “And Ross 4 is a barren planet? Meaning that almost no ground fighting must take place?” Another nod. “Therefore I will enlist the aid of the Ross 148 fleet in this attack when they have completed their task in their system.”

“I detect a flaw in your logic Mr. Devine,” Davies said as he continued playing devil’s advocate. “While the fleet in Ross 148 will ultimately be successful in their attempts to retake the system, if the latest report of K’luth ships left is accurate, they still have taken losses. We will need almost every ship they have to accomplish your objectives.”

“That is correct, rear admiral. Hence we will have to leave something behind to stall the K’luth until we can regroup our forces in Ross 148.”

A tense few seconds passed before Davies spoke again. “Mr. Devine,” Davies coated the word icily, “I have told you I do not like guessing games. Say what you have say, right now, or not at all.”

“I plan to array a minefield covering every planet to the edge of their interdictor base range.”

A new admiral, Vice Admiral Bishop, now spoke up. “If you weren't joking before, you must be now. A minefield that large would take much longer then we have to construct. We could do it eventually, yes, and we have plenty of mines to spare on our remaining minelayers, but many of our minelayers were lost at the failed blockade of the Sol gate. If you asked us to do this kind of thing before then, we could have probably do it inside a week if we really rushed it. Now, we our reduced forces, it could take months.”

“Are mines able to be fitted inside torpedo launchers, vice admiral?”

The bluntness of Devine’s question caught Bishop off guard for a second. But, after thinking, he answered, “Yes, I suppose they could be. No one has ever really found a need to…”

“Vice admiral, I just found the need for it,” Devine said when Bishop trailed off.

“But what about testing and refitting?” Samia asked. “We can’t simply shove mines into torpedo tubes; we’d blow ourselves up.”

Devine pressed a few buttons on his datapad and slid it down the table toward Samia. “I worked out these modifications last night. They are not that complex, and each launcher will only require several minutes to refit, depending on the crew.”

Samia passed the pad around the table for the others to get a look at it. It stopped on Stewart, who took a slightly longer time to read it over. “Have you done simulations?” He asked.

“Yes I have admiral. It’s all in there.”

“Alek!” Stewart called to Bondarenko, who he handed the pad over to. “Look over these specifications and refits and get back to me within the hour if you think it will work.”

“Yessir.”

“In the meantime gentlemen, you have heard the plan. Unless there are further questions, this briefing is adjourned. An attack plan briefing will be held tomorrow at 0730 for tactical and command officers. Dismissed.”

Devine’s reworking of the launchers received approval 30 minutes later by Bondarenko and the plans were transmitted to the fleet in Ross 148, as well as the layout for the minefields. The planet of Ross 4 was secured and the remaining organized resistance routed shortly after they were received.

While small patrols of cruisers and destroyers scoured Ross 148 for any remaining K’luth ships trying to rendezvous, minelayers and the ships with converted launchers began laying down the fields around every single planet. Since many of the ships within the Ross 148 were strictly torpedo ships, many could be assigned to mine laying duty without sacrificing ships for patrol routes. The Elite Assault Dreadnoughts, with their many launchers, sped the process up greatly.

Three days after their work began, the fields were laid and the planets (hopefully) protected. The minefields laid down combined to become the most intricate and most complex ever created. It had to be, as there would be literally no ships to guard the planets.

The fleet in Ross 148, unable to use the gate, was forced to “long jump,” as it was nicknamed, between Sol and Ross 148. The torpedo launchers would be converted back to normal during the transit and as they learned of the plan in Sol. When the fleet organized into formation, their jump drives engaged and they sped through space between the stars, toward Sol, and, they prayed, victory.

Email Tbone
DaMadCow
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2003-08-30 18:37   
w00t more goodness from Tbone. Faustus you really should use this. Some of this stuff needs to be in GAME

Email DaMadCow
Tbone
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2003-08-30 19:54   
Well, a lot of this stuff is actually planned to be in game. The Proton Tank, for example, will be in the ground combat game when (if) it comes out. The Phoenix missile is more of an assumption then fact, but after I read this from the short bit on the new UGTO fighters:

Quote:
Admiral O’Connor the proceeded to outline a timetable of upgrades to the venerable Panther, including the reinforcement of it’s hull design, the inclusion of point defense foiling targeting scramblers, the addition of the new Phoenix Missile to it’s standard armament, and it’s redesignation as the A-34 Panther Assault Fighter.

After a bit of thinking, that made it sound like some kind of long ranged anti-capital missiles that would be used in conjuncture with any standard weapons they may carry.

Email Tbone
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2003-08-30 20:27   
Great...keep it coming. I am doing the correction even as I type this and will keep working on some possible art work for it!!

Email Daylight \
Xortok
Cadet

Posted: 2003-08-30 21:21   
This is just incredible. I had lots of fun reading all of this story. And yes if the game could take most of the improvements your talking about we would have an even greater game.

DaMadCow
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2003-08-30 21:28   
i love the idea of having fleets defending each planet. The servers with the AI implemented are fun. Itll be great when they get implemented.

Email DaMadCow
Pope
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2003-08-31 07:15   
have you ever thought about becoming a professional writer?

someone said it before, this stuff is at least as good as 90% of the common sf literature you find

it may not be a gibson or lem, but hey.

Malduc{-GTN-}
Cadet

Posted: 2003-09-04 20:58   
Yea, make sure to send in a copy of this Tbone, they may ask you to expand it a little, but it would be some good fiction. You could make this into a full-fledged novel if you included the start of the conflict and how the kluth actually took the system. Backtrack a little and write a type of prelude to the actual Jupiter system conflict. It may take time, but you could make some serious recognition and money for yourself if a publisher likes this as much as we do. This is some seriously good writing.

Malduc

Honor Is All

Grand Admiral

Posted: 2003-09-04 22:41   
You reading these replys Tbone, I told you it was GOOD stuff! I was serious when I said you should get into this....We are behind you all the way. I got some Art working, its coming from the Beta too!

Email Daylight \
Tbone
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2003-09-05 22:33   
Ever think of something like a week after you do something?

Platforms!!!!

D'oh!!

Email Tbone
Malduc{-GTN-}
Cadet

Posted: 2003-09-26 06:10   
Still Waiting, stop slacking. =)

Malduc

Honor Is All

_x$witchBladex_ [1.480 Fanboy]
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2003-09-26 07:01   
bravo T-Bone!!! i love this story
* [=TB=]Enterprise @39933 sent to Clan: "Thats a lie Switch, you'd never let anyone else drink rum if it were right there. You'd slip teh roofies in and start drinking it yourself and not even realize it."

Axianda The Royal
Fleet Admiral
Terra Squadron

Posted: 2003-09-26 13:30   
ME WANTS MORE ME WANTS MORE!!!!!!

Feed my addiction to Fan Fiction * hey that rimes *

- Axi

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Page created in 0.021260 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR