No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.6 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Staff Announcements » » Duplicate IP's
 Author Duplicate IP's
Evil Bob
Marshal
Evil Empires Inc.

Posted: 2001-10-02 05:29   
I was playing with my brother ([Evil]DisgruntledDoug) online this evening. For those of you who don't know, I use an analog router running NAT, to which four computers are connected. FlyingDutchman came into the game and asked rather curtly "Explain yourself, what is your relation to Doug?" Being in the middle of a good battle I missed the first msg, so he came back with "This is the last time I'm going to ask, explain yourself". This I saw, so I hit F4 to look at the log and I replied "What?" as I was rather confused by the question in teh first place. "What is your relationship to Doug?" "He's my brother, he's only 10 feet from me." "You're both playing on the same IP address, that's an illegal dupelicate." "Yes, we're both connected through a NAT firewall." "You need to get a static IP address for each computer." "Yeah, that'll run me $50 each computer from my ISP, I've got 4 computers here in the house runnging through this router, so it's not something I want to do." "You're going to have to explain this to alot of people. Most game services ban duplicates."

Now my gripe here is with how this was handled, it was all done publicly, everyone on UGTO saw the exchange. There was no "Hey Bob, come to chat, I'd like to talk to you about something" or "EB, I have a question" or any infinite number of appropriate words that could have been used and not put me completely on the defensive, instead it was "explain yourself". I came back with "This looks good, mod against mod in public" which was countered with "With that attitude..."

Anyway, there are going to be dupe IP addresses. I used to work for a router manufacturer, we sold around 2 million routers (analog, ISDN, DSL, etc.) here in the US alone. Add that to the total number of people out there using competing products that do the same thing and those that use Internet Sharing in Windows, and you're going to run into this type of situation more and more often.

The question is how will it be dealt with? What is the best approach? Invite to a private chat or publicly acuse?

Let's use some tact when trying to solve problems. You get more cooperation with a kind word and a big stick then with just the big stick alone.

Evil Bob

Dwarden
Admiral
CHIMERA

Posted: 2001-10-02 05:38   
I'm behind NAT too, but noone till now get problem with more users from one IP.

I actually getting more fear from usage of clones as from usage of 2 computers and 2 diff acounts (thats no problem with 2 static ips too)

chris aka sunshine
Cadet

Posted: 2001-10-02 08:52   
that' really not a theme which should be discussed durin a game, where everybody is able to read ...

maybe i risk to become unpopular for some mods, in my opinion we have to much mods, and some of them are the wrong person for this job.
choosing mods is your job faustus, but can't understand how you choose some ...

won't offence any other mod, only my personal opinion and may become a problem for the community ..

[ This Message was edited by: sunshine on 2001-10-02 09:26 ]

Email chris aka sunshine   Goto the website of chris aka sunshine
Faustus
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2001-10-02 09:28   
Plans are in the making for a full time community manager, who will be responsible for making moderators, etc..

-Richard

Goto the website of Faustus
Deleted
Marshal

Posted: 2001-10-02 12:54   
Yep, go Faus
We have too many mods who aren't fit for the job

Deleted
Marshal

Posted: 2001-10-02 15:42   
This is rediculous, how did this mod find out you had two IPs? Were you on his server or something?

Why does he even care? It is not like anyone is paying for this. It is good that you are testing this. I have a similar router/LAN setup that I use for other games and have even tested out on DarkSpace with the metaverse.

It's none of his business how you choose to play this game, its still free, you're not stealing money from Palestar in any shape or form. Discussing it ingame is not appropriate either.

There seem to be a lot of moderators who are ban happy...

Evil Bob
Marshal
Evil Empires Inc.

Posted: 2001-10-02 16:54   
My point precisely, very little tact was used and the situation could have been handled much better, people skills are a must from here on out.

As we all know, this will very shortly become a business involving payment which will directly affect Faustus and DarkSpace's publisher. Actions taken by moderators will reflect directly upon the customer's impression of the service. I've had a lot of experience in running pay-to-play BBS and game services in the 80's and 90's, and I know first hand that nothing will drive your customers away faster then lack of tact in handling sticky situations. You need to take your first gut instinct to any given situation and rein it in, don't get hot and bothered and immediately react, your response needs to be in the best interest of the DS community.

Evil Bob

Deleted
Marshal

Posted: 2001-10-02 18:04   
Yep

Page created in 0.013415 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR