Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.9 Days

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Relient
19th - Entil-Zha the Starkiller

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Client Installation Issues (Hardware/Drivers) » » Blue Screen with ndis.sys
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
 Author Blue Screen with ndis.sys
PolarBer1
Cadet

Posted: 2001-07-23 17:01   
Well, seems like nothing I do works anymore
Ok, I took out my current NIC and put in my Linksys LNE100TX 4.1 card. Now when I play, I've gotten like 4 blue screens, in nv4_disp.dll, hal.dll, and I don't know what else, not just a networking thing. Maybe it has something to do with sharing resources. The two types of errors were DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL and IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL.... I don't know what to do anymore. I'm at my wit's end!

Deleted
Cadet

Posted: 2001-07-24 02:51   
Polar can u send me a list of your IRQs and how they are used to my mail addy??
Perhaps i find out s.th. about your prob.

Toddi

Lord_Binary
Midshipman

Posted: 2001-07-24 05:48   
Did you try a complete new installation of Win2k ?
you don't have to trash your current one for that.
just make a second win2k installation, see if it helps.
Reinstalling often does miracles with MS OS'
:-/

Isn't it great fun to reinstall every stupid application after a fresh OS intallation ?

Good luck ...

My *guess*: Either you have a hardware problem or just a trashed Win2k installation.
"Don't mention it! I have some bad Homo Sapiens!"
"

Email Lord_Binary
PolarBer1
Cadet

Posted: 2001-07-24 08:02   
Yeah I've probably reinstalled Win2k 3 times since I've first gotten the bug. Well 6 times actually. I was reinstalling a copy of windows about 2 weeks ago, and trying to restore some of my registry (I know you generally shouldn't, but it's a long story), but that screwed up windows with an INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE Blue screen, so i reinstalled win2k and tried again. Same problem, so I reinstalled for the 3rd time that same day and didn't bother with trying to restore the reg.

PolarBer1
Cadet

Posted: 2001-07-24 18:58   
Seems to be happening only when I fire weapons, especially beams, but not every time. It doesn't seem to happen when I fire PD, maybe it does, but only when I fire them manually, or something.

Deleted
Cadet

Posted: 2001-07-25 06:22   
I don't think this is caused by corrupted system files either.

My system has been clean installed with just Windows XP RC1 and DarkSpace.

I only seem to get the error message when my system locks up, as I have detailed in the "Problems with Windows XP RC1" thread.

Deleted
Cadet

Posted: 2001-07-26 19:20   
Quote:

On 2001-07-04 02:42, PolarBer1 wrote:
Hmm thanks for the info. I was looking for a System File restore program in win2k that was like the one in Windows 98 (system information: Tools-> System File Checker) taht would replace critical system files with originals, but I haven't had any luck. Should i just break out the win2000 cd and copy it directly from a compresssed cab?

in the command prompt you can use the filever command for Win2k to check file versions... i believe there is a GUI way to do it as well...

as for system files, win2k has this thing called Windows File Protection or something like that.... anyway when you installed win2k it also took all your system files and placed them in a seperate directory under C:WinNT... and from there if any of your applications overwrite any system files, win2k would grab the backups they have in the File Protection dir. and replace them again... that way none of your important system files are replaced by buggy crappy unstable files... but then again some programs need newer modded dlls to work right and if win2k is overwriting them all the time with the orginal files then it can cause problems... there is a way to disable File Protection... i think you just have to delete the backup dir. and then change some value in the registry...

Deleted
Cadet

Posted: 2001-08-02 21:09   
Yes I am also having this stop error problem. I also have a FA312 nic. I am not sure which drivers. It does not appear to be triggered by anything specific but always happens within the first 10 mins. of playing. I have sp2 installed.

PolarBer1
Cadet

Posted: 2001-08-03 03:46   
Yup I even switched out my Netgear FA311 with my Linksys and I still got hte ndis.sys. (even though my FA311 had been installed on this windows inst, maybe its drivers are leaving some sort of lasting effect)I also used "Standard PC" instead of ACPI HAL when installing this time, since it's ACPI by default.

PolarBer1
Cadet

Posted: 2001-08-11 22:20   
This lobby update is giving me problems now.

I get into GCQ chat just fine. The problem is, when I go to the DarkSpace lobby, it starts to download updates, and when the second file in the update starts to download... NDIS.SYS BLUE SCREEN. I'm tired of this. I can't even get into chat anymore, much less the game. I don't know why I even bother anymore. Still using the Linksys card, not the Netgear one.

This sucks. Ideas, anyone? I'm extremely frustrated now.

For now, I might try changing DoUpdate to 0 so that it doesn't try to download updates anymore, except that I won't be able to play if I can't update.

PolarBer1
Cadet

Posted: 2001-08-11 23:19   
It would appear that both Netgear FA311/FA312 and Linksys LNE100TX v4 network cards cause ndis.sys blue screens in other people's computers in various programs, not just darkspace. coincidentally, these are exactly the network cards i have, so replacing the netgear with the linksys would not have helped. I suppose I can always get another NIC tomorrow before the mod/admin meeting, but that's a lot of money I could use to go towards a new CD I had planned to get.

Deleted
Cadet

Posted: 2001-08-12 02:56   
Well Polar I could zip my directory and send it to you if you want to, or perhaps you can tell me which file causes the crash then i cans send only this one.

Toddi

PolarBer1
Cadet

Posted: 2001-08-12 03:22   
Well, it crashes before I can tell which file it is trying to update. Says something like 2.9mb remaining, it goes up to 3.2, and crashes before I can see what file it is trying to update.

Don't trouble yourself with all the zipping and uploading. I'll just grab the new NIC tomorrow. If I still can't get it to work, I'll set up GCQ on someone else's computer here at home and chat.

PolarBer1
Cadet

Posted: 2001-08-12 15:35   
Actually, if I uninstall DS, then I have no program to update (it crashes while receiving the updated file catalog). So now I can get into chat, but I of course have no game to play.

PolarBer1
Cadet

Posted: 2001-08-15 19:17   
I fixed the problem I think, but not through the magic of some windows tinkering. I bought a new network card. I got a D-Link DFE-530TX+ and haven't had a problem so far, although I haven't played the game for a long uninterrupted stretch of time since then. I was able to play the tutorial for about 30 mins without failure, though.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Page created in 0.019220 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR