Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.8 Days

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Relient
19th - Entil-Zha the Starkiller

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Client Installation Issues (Hardware/Drivers) » » Blue Screen with ndis.sys
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
 Author Blue Screen with ndis.sys
Deleted

Posted: 2001-08-15 19:34   
PolarBer1:

(Continuing our conversation from the bugs forum)

Reading this thread is giving me a bizarre sense that you are my doppelganger or something:

- I also have the network card issues, the DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL with NDIS.sys and all
- I _also_ have had my boot drive failing over the last couple of weeks. Moving it around, even unplugging it and plugging it in again seems to bring it back to life
- I also have had my Windows system trashed with the INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE problem although in my case because of installing bunk IDE drivers.

It's too late both of us now, but I found a Knowledge Base article about how to rcover from INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE in cases where it's caused by bunk drivers. In involves not fixing the driver pointers in the registry, but booting into the recovery console and simply _renaming_ the standard drivers to the currently installed driver's names.

It's almost too crazy to think about, but could the two (the failing boot drive and the crappy network card) be linked? I hope not because I went through hell copying stuff to another drive and putting the boot drive in the mail back to Maxtor.

Actually I haven't mailed it yet, but I can't face unpacking and installing it again unless I'm positive it 100%.

Dude check it - due to all this locking up (when bootdrive fails) and crashing (when netcard barfs) I bought a new mobo (which I thought was the problem). The new mobo necissesitated new powersupply, processor and RAM.

The only parts of my computer I didn't replace were the two bunk parts! Now I have to replace them too!

Argh. I guess I still have a case and floppy drive that work.

I figure I'll get a 3COM 3C905-TX. You can't go wrong with that badboy. It costs alot, but I'm not going through anything like this again.

PaleStar dudes if you're listening - it's a testament to how cool I think your game is that I will have spent a thousand dollars to run it by the time all this is said and done.

agraham

PolarBer1
Cadet

Posted: 2001-08-16 00:01   
Well I've gotten two INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE screens. One was from trying to restore my previous install's registry (cuz I had to reinstall windows over teh old install since I didn't have my replacement Maxtor to back stuff up to at the time), and the second was from trying to change from Standard PC HAL to an ACPI HAL without reinstalling windows (MS says you should only do this at install, cuz if you try and do it in your current windows inst, it will become unbootable and they wont' support it. I have been able to go from ACPI to Standard before, though. If you do get inaccessible boot device when trying to switch HALs, you actually can restore your environment by going to the recovery console and copying back your previous HAL's files, as explained here http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q237/5/56.ASP?LN=EN-US&SD=gn&FR=0&qry=ACPI%20HAL%20Standard%20PC&rnk=3&src=DHCS_MSPSS_gn_SRCH&SPR=WIN2000

Anyway, I got my replacement maxtor drive back, and by getting my new network card it seems that everything's working. (I think the hard drive failed becaues of excessive vibration - I didn't have it mounted at the time, so I just put objects on top of it to weigh it down slightly.. it went on like that for about 7 months .. then again, that may not have been the problem)

Deleted
Cadet

Posted: 2001-10-24 00:52   
dude, i have the same problems except I can't even get into the game. I've received the same errors as you have and have even received them in other places all the time. Java based games (i.e. pogo.com and yahoogames), P2P file sharing programs (i.e imesh, morhpeus, etc..) Have you found anything to help your situation yet? I've tried everything you have put in this forum and then some. I have a generic PCI 10/100 NIC and a Linksys LNE100TX v4, in which both used to perform flawlessly in win98se. I have the most updated drivers, etc... Have you found anything to help your problem yet? There has to be some underlying issue in Windows that is causing this problem.

PolarBer1
Cadet

Posted: 2001-10-24 09:33   
I never really found out what caused the problem or how to fix it. It happened on both my Linksys LNE100TX v4 adn my Netgear FA311, which both seem to exhibit problems on other peoples' systems in other apps than DS (though that's the only place I can remember getting trouble with them). The only solution I could figure out was to replace the network card, and so far I've had no problems with the D-Link DFE-530TX+. I picked it up for about $10 I think.

Deleted
Cadet

Posted: 2001-10-24 09:49   
hmmmm....that's a bummer. I've posted messages about this problem in other forums for other things, i'm hoping someone out there will have an answer...even microsoft's site doesn't list much for it. I wonder if my TechNet cd's at work will have anything about it...well, if you find out anything PLEASE post it...Thanks!

AgentStarblazer
1st Rear Admiral
Agents

Posted: 2001-11-06 12:45   
Ok, that that normally is, with IRQL_NOT_EQUAL_OR_GREATER (or whatever it is) is a network card problem. I had a linksys etherfast 10/100 version 4, and that could crash xp every single time i play'd ds. now when i change it to a differnet NIC, it all works just fine.

Goto the website of AgentStarblazer
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Page created in 0.010628 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR