Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +2.1 Days

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Relient
19th - Entil-Zha the Starkiller

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Client Installation Issues (Hardware/Drivers) » » Blue Screen with ndis.sys
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
 Author Blue Screen with ndis.sys
PolarBer1
Cadet

Posted: 2001-07-04 00:40   
Ok I've gotten this a lot in the last few months, and the few times I haven't gotten this, I get a lockup of some sort. I hate to admit thought that I usually get them when I'm retreating for some reason, showing up as a disconnect and cowardice, I'm sure

Anyway, I'd get this blue screen along the lines of STOP 0x000001 DRIVER_IRQL_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL blah blah blah in ndis.sys

I thought ndis.sys was an nvidia driver, but it's actually a microsoft-made driver. I've gotten this problem while running detonator drivers 6.50 final, 7.58 WHQL, and some beta 11.40's or 12.00 or something. I've heard about a lot of errors in the offical 12.41's so I haven't tried those, but I have just now switched to Hercules 12.40 drivers. I have yet to test the game under them.

My sound card's drivers are standalone, and dont' have any of that Creative software on there. I also reinstalled DirectX 8.0a just in case.

Win2000 SP2 Professional
Hercules 3D Prophet II Geforce2 Pro 64 MB
SB Live! Value
current drivers (untested in the game): Hercules 12.40 for win2k.

P.S.: Hehe, occasionally I can crash the server and my own machine (or just get disconnected from server message) by standing at one point in space, spinning around wildly and shooting bunches of torpedoes and beams at a null point in space! Today though I was in several heated battles similar to that and nothing happened.

[ This Message was edited by: PolarBer` on 2001-07-04 00:47 ]

Deleted
Cadet

Posted: 2001-07-04 02:27   
Hi Polar

If i'm not completly wrong ndis.sys seems to be networtk related. I had a lot of these probs with a friend of mine under NT 4.0 there it was a 16Bit program that overwrited some system files.
Can't imagine this to have happened here though.

Sir_Toddi

PolarBer1
Cadet

Posted: 2001-07-04 02:42   
Hmm thanks for the info. I was looking for a System File restore program in win2k that was like the one in Windows 98 (system information: Tools-> System File Checker) taht would replace critical system files with originals, but I haven't had any luck. Should i just break out the win2000 cd and copy it directly from a compresssed cab?

Bumblebee
Cadet
Mercenaries of Andosia

Posted: 2001-07-04 02:42   
absolutely right - TODDI

ndis.sys is network-related and should improve the network performance

look at these links they could be helpfull

http://support.efficient.com/KB/NTS/shadow.html
http://forums.napigator.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=2302

[MoA]Bumblebee
Mercenaries of Andosia

Email Bumblebee
PolarBer1
Cadet

Posted: 2001-07-04 02:52   
figured it was display, since it was called ndis, but thanks for the info guys. I checked over those links u gave me, bumble, but they dont' seem to be entirely relevant. Thank you anyway.

oh yeah i ran verifier.exe to verify the ndis.sys driver for whatever stuff the prog does, and it checks out ok. Think it has something to do with resources and mem management. Also ran the file signature verification check on the file (under the system info), and it passed that too...

this is the only program that produces the problem. A few days ago I was having some IDE problems (appers that my boot drive is failing, doesn't always get detected at boot, so i hve to switch it between my ata100 channels and ata66's intermittently to get it detected, for some reason), and for seeminly no reason i'd get the same blue screen while trying to start windows up, but on cdr4vsd.sys (adaptec CD-writer drivers). I used a win98 bootdisk to rename the file, adn it booted fine. I renamed the file back to normal, rebooted, adn it all worked. Strange. Can't do that with ndis.sys though.

Deleted
Cadet

Posted: 2001-07-04 03:05   
Ähm, did you reinstall Win2k after switching the drive, or did you connect the drive to another IDE connector?? Cause the problem is that when you connect a harddisk to a different IDE-Controller a lot of adresses change and Windows has severe problems with that.
I will also try to look up Microsofts knowledge base, i remember there to be some answers to this kind of probs. I will edit this post if i find s.th.

Toddi

Deleted
Cadet

Posted: 2001-07-04 03:23   
Alright I found some posts in Microsoft knowledge base perhaps they fix it:

1.) http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q289/1/51.ASP?LN=EN-US&SD=gn&FR=0&qry=0x00000001&rnk=23&src=DHCS_MSPSS_gn_SRCH&SPR=WIN2000

2.)
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q244/6/17.ASP

Perhaps you should try reinstalling SP2, that might help

Toddi

PolarBer1
Cadet

Posted: 2001-07-04 12:29   
It has happened before and after installing SP2. No, I haven't reinstalled Win2k since, but it has happened in previous installations of win2k, and I think it even happened in win98, although I'm not sure. The fact that my boot drive is now unreliable is why I've had to switch it between my onboard IDE controller channels several times... sometimes it won't get detected, but if I switch it over, it suddenly will be. No clue why. Right now I'm going for a minimum of reboots, but I don't mind having to do them every so often.

Thanks for the docs, though. I've run verifier (witht he IRQL checking) but it seems to have passed without a hitch. The ndis.sys also appears to the be the original (or, rather, the udpated version that might have been contained in SP2). Either way it's a MS version and hasn't been tampered with.

Samweis*
Cadet

Posted: 2001-07-05 00:40   
Here are some other other articles that may help you:

Operating System Does Not Recognize That the Secondary Channel Has Been Disabled

HOWTO: Enable and Use NDIS Verifier

Gathering Blue Screen Information After Memory Dump

STOP 0x00000001

Email Samweis*
PolarBer1
Cadet

Posted: 2001-07-20 14:19   
Looks like this problem has come back, although I don't get as long an error message on the blue screen as I used to..

Faustus said it could be a network card or NIC driver problem. I have a Netgear FA311 with FA312 drivers (the card accepts both without a change in functionality or performance. A few cards, including mine, came off the production line with a firmware problem that made the 311 card identify itself as a FA312, but it will take both models' drivers with no differences between them, Netgear says)

I'll have it do a small memory dump next time and post a link to it after it happens.

PolarBer1
Cadet

Posted: 2001-07-22 01:48   
Finally, I'm not the only one getting this anymore! I talked to Maximus, and he also has a Netgear FA311 NIC taht's detected as a 312. There are flasher programs to re-ID it as a FA311, but i'm not sure that's the underlying problem. I can try it though. Case in point, we have the same network cards and both get blue screens with ndis.sys.

I wonder if there'll be a way to fix it. Would it help if I sent you a FA311, Faustus?

PolarBer1
Cadet

Posted: 2001-07-22 03:19   
Ok Maximus, I figured out how to patch the PID so it recognizes it as a FA311 now! It wasn't working earlier, because the BIOS automatically shared it's IRQ of 11 with the display adapter, so the DOS patcher and the DOS diag program wouldn't recognize it. Here's what to do:

Get a win98 bootdisk, and delete autoexec.bat, config.sys, and ebd.cab off of it. Then, in your BIOS, disable Plug & Play OS (should be disabled for Win2k and XP anyway, Microsoft says), and disable IRQ sharing OR assign an IRQ only to the PCI slot with the FA311 and don't assign one to the other slots. Now, nothing should share an IRQ with the network card. Now boot to the floppy and run the patcher. It should work! If it doesn't, try removing all of your PCI and ISA cards except for your video card. Then try it.

Mine got patched to be recognized as a FA311 instead of incorrectly as a FA312. I booted to windows and installed the FA311 drivers wihtout a problem.(had hte 312's installed with no problem earlier. And just to test it, it said the 312's were incompatible with the card, just like how it would say the 311's were before the patch.). Hopefully this will work for you.

Now I'll just have to see if I get the ndis.sys blue screens any more, which may still rear its ugly head, so we'll see.

[ This Message was edited by: PolarBer1 on 2001-07-22 03:20 ]

Deleted
Cadet

Posted: 2001-07-22 22:24   
Thanks for that PolarBer1.

That worked for me as well. My Netgear NIC is now properly detected as FA311.

I will let you know if I get the blue screen and ndis.sys error message again.

PolarBer1
Cadet

Posted: 2001-07-23 01:28   
I guess netgear was right... I still got the ndis.sys, and this time within 10 minutes of play! If I get it again so soon, I'm gonna wish I still had the incorrect card, cuz i haven't ever gotten that soon into play, i don't think.

PolarBer1
Cadet

Posted: 2001-07-23 02:19   
I dont' remember being able to trigger the blue screen with specific events in the past, but I just now got it twice when I tried to bomb a target with mirvs from my bomber frigate. I pressed B, the game paused for a sec, adn i was in a sea of blue ;(

An hour or so ago, though I bombed some stuff on a planet without a problem. But I just got it twice from trying to bomb, and that's kind of peculiar...

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Page created in 0.019164 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR