Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +2.1 Days

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Relient
19th - Entil-Zha the Starkiller

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Announcements » » End of player/scenerio servers?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
 Author End of player/scenerio servers?
Captain Caveman
Cadet

Posted: 2002-11-04 04:01   
I'm a relative newbie but at the end of the day, Darkspace is all about having fun. Whether you have fun playing the slightly more tactically inclined Multiverse or the more dynamic FA, is up to you.

What I can't understand is the people who are saying that players who play in the new "proposed" scenario servers should have their prestige penalised. What the hell is all that about???? If you've only got half an hour or so to have a quick blast on Darkspace, you don't want to have to spend time jumping in the multiverse, and then finding someone to fight.

The scenario servers give you the option of having that quick blast at whatever skill your trying to improve, be it combat, bombing, transport, etc. Take it away and it seems to me that you'd be discriminating against the people who don't have hours to play the game (Blimey, that sounds all politically correct!! Surely you Americans can grab a lawsuit out of it somewhere, hee hee hee!)

My personal preference is for the multiverse (mainly because of my supermodded assault destroyer!) but how can players deny the fun involved when there is twenty minutes left in a scenario server and everyone decides that a mass battle is due???? Open your minds people!!!

[ This Message was edited by: Captain Caveman on 2002-11-04 04:03 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Captain Caveman on 2002-11-04 04:04 ]

Firekka
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2002-11-04 04:25   
I think you should keep newbie server only.. once people know the trades in the game they should be able to hold their ground in mv. I always shiver when i see more people in fa then in mv, since mv is where the hart of this game is imho.

OFP
Cadet

Posted: 2002-11-04 04:34   
Hey Big F I would say just remove FA Scen servers. Then keep Newbie and captain for the new players. That way once they graduate from Captain they can come in the Metaverse some what trained. I think that would be fair for them. Then MV might get mroe action in a day then FA does every 3 hours...

Captain Caveman
Cadet

Posted: 2002-11-04 05:01   
Just thought of another couple of points!

(i) Scenario servers let you try out the different factions ships.

(ii) Scenario servers let you fight alongside people from different faction fleets.

Just some more fuel for the fire!!

Novacat
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2002-11-04 06:45   
If everyone is playing MV, coupled with shipyards, could make gameplay very sceneriolike

Goto the website of Novacat
Raiders
Cadet

Posted: 2002-11-05 20:53   
personly i much prefer senerio servers to MV. With resetts every 2-3 hours over all they stay more stable. Ever hear ppl getting stuck in FAs gates? well maybe but not often now how bout MV? Also the point of only being on for 30 min or an hour thats not enough time to get anything done in MV but plenty of time to get into a good battle thats always going in FA

Death is just the first step along an unknown path

Email Raiders
Ishtarra
Cadet

Posted: 2002-11-16 17:34   
I must admit i don't have all that much experience in MV, but there is a good reason for that. What i see of MV is basically a whole lot of waiting while the FA's move their stations into position and then you take over some fully built planets, scrap the ECM/ECCM bases and replace them with ECCM/ECM bases (depending on if you're the K'luth or not) and sit around for a couple hours more while the FA's talk about moving to capture the next planet. Basically, it is usually boring as hell and no fun at all if you cant be one of the all-powerful dreads/stations.

Scenario is always dynamic though, you start over every 2/3 hours, get to build, bomb, fight, cap and you meet ships from almost every power level, I.E. not just stations, dreads and dictors.

Just my 2 cents,

Saitan

Cattraknoff
Cadet

Posted: 2002-11-16 18:10   
PLZ dont get rid of player run servers, that would suck VERY badly i like running my server on the map i made, also showed map to griff and he liked it, is fun map to play and i would hate it if i couldnt run it anymore.

Cat

Goto the website of Cattraknoff
Cattraknoff
Cadet

Posted: 2002-11-16 18:13   
also if this is done it would take a long time to get my gold engie/bomber badge

Goto the website of Cattraknoff
Deleted
Cadet

Posted: 2002-11-16 18:25   
I say KEEP the newbie server, cos that important to new players, also noone over the rank of Commander amy go in there, also delete the rest man, make the MV the main place, cos I dont know about you people but if the MV had 30-80 players in it, there would be hughe battles like FA but instead of working ur arse off for 2 hours then to have it all go away in less then 3 seconds is kinda pointless to me. In the MV atleast your hard work stays.

Panimu
Cadet

Posted: 2002-11-16 18:57   
If scen servers disappear (particularly FA, I wouldn't be happy with just a Captain and/or newbie scen server) there is a 95% chance I'd unsubscribe for the first and lasting time.

I'm sure I'm not the only one to feel thus. Maybe a poll is due on this subject, only problem with them is they are not very prominent on the web page.

Goto the website of Panimu
Intrepid00
Cadet

Posted: 2002-11-16 21:17   
Quote:

On 2002-10-23 11:47, Faustus wrote:
I'm still going over the issues, but there is a real possiblity that player/scenerio servers may have to go away.

This may happen because of the increased interconnects between the game servers will rely on high-bandwidth connections, meaning gameservers will need to be clustered on a local LAN in order to work correctly.

However, I'm still working out the design and my goal is to keep player servers and the existing scenerio servers... however, if push comes to shove I will make the best decision for the long term success of the game, which might mean removing supoprt for scenerio and player ran servers.

-Richard

[ This Message was edited by: Faustus on 2002-10-23 11:51 ]

OMG, I never thought I would here the day Faustus would remove the sceanrio servers. I would so rather play MV but there is never anyone in there. This is the reason I left the game for 5 months and you lost money because of this Faustus. Scenrio is boring as all hell. I was playing it last night and I fell asleep at my keyboard at 10 pm.

Email Intrepid00
Gideon
Cadet

Posted: 2002-11-18 18:43   
Okay, let me clear this up for all of you leveling threats at Faustus.

We don't want to remove scenarios at this time. In the opinion of the dev staff, the MV does not provide enough of a compelte game to justify removing scenarios. We want to keep scenarios. Faustus is doing everything in his power to keep scenarios. If the scenarios were to be removed at this point, it would be because we would have no other choice.

The removal of scenarios is not the first, or even the second option. It is the absolutely last option.

So, everyone just calm down. We arn't trying to shaft people who like the scenarios, and threatening to leave over this won't change whether we can or cannot keep scenarios in the game.

Email Gideon
Ash'elth
Grand Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2002-11-18 20:45   
One thing I think MANY players are missing about the newest patch are what effect the shipyards will have.

They should effectively turn the MV into something closer to a dozen FA servers linked together.

You'll be able to almost instantly join the action on any server your fleet controls a starport on.

Think about it. Maybe BD is under attack and that's a long way from your spawning gate. But your fleet holds a shipyard there. One click and BOOM you're right in the middle of the fight.

And in my opinion, the game play in FA is MUCH more pedestrian in the MV.

NoPants2win
Cadet

Posted: 2002-11-18 21:35   
You can gain construction and bombing points far faster when you wipe planets of 31 structures and 16 inf and then rebuild 31 structures then you could ever gain in the FA server.

If you have trouble finding any action in the MV i suggest a change in fleets.

Goto the website of NoPants2win
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Page created in 0.034041 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR