No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +5.2 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Chubba

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Announcements » » What I'm doing for version 1.479...
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
 Author What I'm doing for version 1.479...
Faustus
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2002-08-17 08:00   
Welp, I laid awake in bed until almost 2am last night thinking about what the most important priority should be for the next version... here are my thoughts..

Ship Yards - This is needed in the MV, players should be able to pick which shipyards, the ships available will be limited based on the resources available at the shipyard. Players should be able to orbit a planet with a shipyard and change their ship as well.

Faster jump drives - Jeeze... jump drives should be able to jump (within a reasonable amount of time) between 1 or more star systems in the metaverse without a supply ship. However, the range should not be so far as to allow a ship to jump from 1 home system to another home system without refueling. This should improve playability of the MV by making it possible for players to move more quickly between star systems to get to the action.

MV Win Conditions - This is probably the primary problem with why people find the MV unfun. Scenerios can be completed, the MV cannot. If the MV can be won, then now there is a complelling motivation for playing the MV. Win conditions will most likely be based on flag planets being assigned for each system in the MV, when all flag planets are controlled by 1 single faction the MV is won, and it resets to a new state.

UniverseServer - Key to most of the items above getting done.

Anyway, any thoughts?

Goto the website of Faustus
Hitman23
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2002-08-17 08:10   
Those ideas sound great to me! I really like the idea of being able to change your ship out in space.

I would really like you to think about a Kluth dictor as well.

Thanks

The game gets better every patch!

Email Hitman23
Kamikaze Chicken
Cadet

Posted: 2002-08-17 08:26   
Yeah if Kluth dont get a dictor which is fine by me then the humans shouldnt get the AM drives, that includes the AM jump drive AND the AME.

Deleted
Cadet

Posted: 2002-08-17 08:36   
i like the thought of ship yards and being able to get throught sol faster

DOM700 [-IMO-]
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2002-08-17 09:02   
I like the shipyards as well, make them able to spawn AI trannys too, Carania and Pavonis need their trannys

Never forget what you fight for
I have earned my betatester badge for being part of the open beta

Email DOM700 [-IMO-]   Goto the website of DOM700 [-IMO-]
Barthezzz
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2002-08-17 10:12   
About the jump drives:
You should be able to jump +/-2 systems
AND you need to see all planets of all systems. (the planets dont need to show info just so you know where they are when you target a jump trough a system)

the time needed for a 2 system jump should not me more then 3 or 4 min.

Goto the website of Barthezzz
Deleted
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2002-08-17 14:09   
That shipyard thing is an awesome idea. In addition, I'd make it so you respawn in the MV near the closest shipyard rather than the jumpgates.

Would the new faster jumps apply to just the MV or all servers?

Gideon
Cadet

Posted: 2002-08-17 15:07   
Quote:

On 2002-08-17 14:09, mezza9 wrote:
That shipyard thing is an awesome idea. In addition, I'd make it so you respawn in the MV near the closest shipyard rather than the jumpgates.

Exactly the plan.

Quote:

Would the new faster jumps apply to just the MV or all servers?

Dunno, but I think it's safe to assume that changes like this will apply to both MV and Scenarios.

Email Gideon
Chromix
Cadet

Posted: 2002-08-17 16:22   
For jumpdrives being faster than the ones we currently have: That´d make it even more easy for players to jump with their EADs right on top of an enemy ship in midcombat. Is it possible to let the fast new drives have an acceleration phase of about 6 seconds to compensate the increased speed ?

Email Chromix
Jim Starluck
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2002-08-17 16:38   
Better yet, just give them a 2000-gu minimum range. Would also make for some interesting tactical options. Say you want to fight at long-range, you come out at about 1500 gu from target. They can't hit you effectively without their own long-range, but they also can't jump right on top of you.

Email Jim Starluck
Deleted
Marshal

Posted: 2002-08-17 20:11   
but theu can jump 500gu away from u and still hit u with med. rang and the try to get closer for other weapons

Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2002-08-18 02:55   
Keep in mind there are other uses for micro-jumps as well - joining a fleet formation easily, moving to a nearby planet, getting close to a ship in your supply ship (what if there is a guy 1000gu away - can you imagine the time it'd take to get to him in an ICC supply ship?).

While I do think that microjumping in an ead can be rather harsh, you have to keep in mind that that isn't the ONLY ship that uses microjumps.

Also, since I mentioned it, Some quick, easy, convenient ways to fleet up would be nice as well..

A few different formations to fit the battle, easily assembled.. not sure exactly what formations we need, but that's what the suggestions forum is for, I suppose.

I like the plans though - especially the jump drive speedup. It just might make systems like Sol tolerable to play again.

Email Shigernafy
Barthezzz
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2002-08-18 04:03   
Quote:

On 2002-08-17 16:38, Admiral Jimmy wrote:
Better yet, just give them a 2000-gu minimum range. Would also make for some interesting tactical options. Say you want to fight at long-range, you come out at about 1500 gu from target. They can't hit you effectively without their own long-range, but they also can't jump right on top of you.

Well just think of it this way:
What can an EAD do if it can jump to someone?
Nothing its a dread it cant fly normally, to big to slow.
It will just be an other slaughter.
SO dreads can jump into the field kill the person they jumped and then die.

Would seem really usefull to me =/

BTW: if a dread cant jump and Torp cruiser then its screwed.
Fighting a good Torp cruiser is had anyway.

Goto the website of Barthezzz
ChiggenWingz
Cadet

Posted: 2002-08-18 07:47   
Jump drives getting faster is good, but no more than 1.5 times the speed they already are, anything over double the speed just takes out the ability to use jumping as a defencsive/offensive timed attack option and stuff (I dont want to explain here) also for long distance jumps just have a fuel container you can add to your ship, maybe in a general weapon slot or armor/shield slot. This way, players keep what they got, they just have to put armor into storage to use long range jump fuel.

Long range Jump Juice could be like a super booster, it makes ya jump drive go faster, but it has to be running for a certain ammount of time, or a rev up time of maybe 30 seconds and you can't stop the jump until it has finished.

Anywho, I'd like to see more focus on ship names more than anything else atm, and also personalising your own ship logos and so on. Like the decals you have in half-life, they are not to big when compressed, eg tga/bmp into a zip form then when downloaded onto the client, it uncompresses it and installs it into a directory called "decals" so people can trade decals and see other people's decals. That way, there can be decal packs on the site that people can download that wont eat up time. Or better idea, when players are in orbit of a planet, or just jumping long range, or anything basically not combat that doesnt need alot of modem resourses, then the player can download decals. Maybe assign a button like CTRL-D that will shut off decal downloading so the player can shut it off if he/she is about to go into battle, and also ALPHA fire or any weapon fire could shut off the download.

But yeah, there are a million ways to transfer decals across without disrupting game play too much.

Also more ambiant life in the MV, like just some models you might have lying around, throw them in for population trans ports or anything, just something so it doesn't look so plain.

Ships yards sound pretty good, it will be interesting to see how they evolve.

Goto the website of ChiggenWingz
Will McBlack
Admiral

Posted: 2002-08-18 08:16   
I totally agree with Nova, perhaps there can be done something to give a bit more of 'faction feeling' like the Cloak/Automated Repair (KLuth), EMP tech (UGTO) and Pulse/Shield tech (ICC).
Right now there are the AM (Jump)Drives and lesser stuff. What if we give the KLuth all their precious AM stuff for themselves. They will have 2 types of Jump-Drives, Tachyon and AM, same as it is now. However let standard Tachyon J-Drive do 750 gu/s with the same max range (right now 150 kgu?). The AM drive will do 1500 kgu/s and this will be KLuth only! This will add to their supposedly Hit and Run tactis, using Ejump now for 5-8 secs will put them 7500-12000 out of reach, plenty to ejump away undetected (Thus making the heavy armors absolete ). For the UGTO and ICC there will be the standard Tachyon J-drive at 750 gu/s and a new drive called WarpDrive/NeutrionDrive or whatever at 1250 gu/s this drive might be usable by KLuth too...
Prices would be respectively Tach/Warp/AM, 10k/12.5k/15k or maybe even 10k/15k/20k (if you wanna go faster you bleed )

I am also for a new device which can be used as extra fuel tank at the expense of offensive power (weapon/h.weapon). Give these fuel tanks a nice price tag as to avoid use and dump Possibly Fighter slots could be used as extra fuel storage. This means only cruisers and up can use this new device, but hey the bigger the ship the more it can carry

Another thing is the Proton Cruise Missile, what if it was to be fit a 'Bomb' slot like the MIRV. As we arent allowed to close-orbit bomb anyway one should be able to use either PCM or MIRV trading ammunition/reload times for destruction capability.

And I am very curious about these shipyards/platforms, but I also agree with the clan-signs, it might be nice to have these implemented before anything else.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Page created in 0.022784 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR