Upcoming Events

- Towel Day
05/25/24 +5.9 Days

Search

Anniversaries

22th - Enterprise
21th - Hobbyte

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Soap Box » » Bring back the configurable ship!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
 Author Bring back the configurable ship!
Fatal Afro Man *NCO*
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2011-04-22 17:11   
Quote:

On 2011-04-22 16:09, Nutsy wrote:

One final note, then I am done: Mods (enchanments) are great to say that they should be used. But when I pay cash for the credits to buy them, then loose them when my ship is destroyed, it certainly reduces my willingness to buy more credits.

And don't give me the line of "Well then don't get your ship blown up!" I might as well stop playing if that is the goal. Even the best players have lost their ships, regardless of their mods........

I have yet to remod a ship since paid enh were introduced....

Nutsy
Grand Admiral
*Renegade Space Marines*

Posted: 2011-04-22 20:02   
Quote:

On 2011-04-22 17:11, Fatal Afro Man *TO* wrote:

Then you are fortunante.........

Email Nutsy
Borgie
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-04-22 21:24   
Quote:

On 2011-04-22 17:11, Fatal Afro Man *TO* wrote:

you also don't play but once or twice a year

Email Borgie
Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-04-23 00:18   
Quote:

On 2011-04-22 16:09, Nutsy wrote:

One final note, then I am done: Mods (enchanments) are great to say that they should be used. But when I pay cash for the credits to buy them, then loose them when my ship is destroyed, it certainly reduces my willingness to buy more credits.

And don't give me the line of "Well then don't get your ship blown up!" I might as well stop playing if that is the goal. Even the best players have lost their ships, regardless of their mods........

This game used to be pay to play. It's now free with the exception of paying for enh to get yrself some advantage over other ships.

In other paid games like EVE, once u lose a ship, u lose everything on it plus the ship itself.
Over here u have it easy. Your blue enh has 20 'lives'.

What more do you want?

You want an easy game? Go fire up your Xbox and find yrself an arcade shooter. You don't have to torment yourself here. LOL

-Shadowalker-™
Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2011-04-23 00:29   
Ya know what ive noticed... ALOT of ideas seem to require,"major rewrites in game code" dot dot dot... I mean you added a custm system, the made major changes, then completly removed it.. yet as far as i know nobody complained about that being "alot of work"... (far as i know)... dot dot dot

just sayin

Email -Shadowalker-™
CM7
Midshipman
Faster than Light

Posted: 2011-04-23 01:09   
ok, feel like i should save you all some time.

I was told by Faust himself personally in two letters and in a dev meeting, customizing ships will NeVeR be back again.

Its his game. He wins

Gerlach
Marshal

Posted: 2011-04-23 01:20   
OK, I understand keeping custom layouts and balancig it would be more work to do. I still think introducing limit/point system as was mentioned here already would be a better option for actual gameplay.

Anyway. I would be happy to see at least a third option for main guns and maybe a new one for torpedoes. For example a short range gun with damage bonus against armor/low hull damage for ICC. Oh, and if you ever do this, please make it actually worth it to swap them, not like Gauss Guns. All they do is drain energy and a graphical effect (like Brahmastra's station killer CD, sorry my friend, but the extra Ion Cannon on an AD will do much more than a full barage of Gauss Guns).
Would be better to just use VVLASBS MkII instead of those...
[ This Message was edited by: Gerlach on 2011-04-23 01:29 ]

\"I'M HEAVY METAL \\m/>_<\\m/ !!\"

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-04-23 03:05   
Quote:

On 2011-04-23 01:20, Gerlach wrote:

Anyway. I would be happy to see at least a third option for main guns and maybe a new one for torpedoes. For example a short range gun with damage bonus against armor/low hull damage for ICC. Oh, and if you ever do this, please make it actually worth it to swap them, not like Gauss Guns. All they do is drain energy and a graphical effect (like Brahmastra's station killer CD, sorry my friend, but the extra Ion Cannon on an AD will do much more than a full barage of Gauss Guns).
Would be better to just use VVLASBS MkII instead of those...
[ This Message was edited by: Kenny_Naboo[+R] on 2011-04-23 03:05 ]

And I want a Yamato cannon fitted onto the Siphon, which can one shot a hulled ICC/UGTO station.

Azure Prower
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-04-23 05:28   
I remember there being a bug where if you clicked too many times, lag would cause an issue where multiple weapons would be added to a ship so you could have a frigate more armed than a dread.

Yeah. Not a good idea.

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-04-23 07:13   
Quote:

On 2011-04-23 00:29, -Shadowalker-™ wrote:
Ya know what ive noticed... ALOT of ideas seem to require,"major rewrites in game code" dot dot dot... I mean you added a custm system, the made major changes, then completly removed it.. yet as far as i know nobody complained about that being "alot of work"... (far as i know)... dot dot dot

just sayin

Generally, rewriting the code of the basic combat mechanics of the game would require more than changing a few numbers.

Not to mention, the countless testing of about a hundred ships to make sure it couldn't be exploited.

And having to balance the general theme of each faction against each other with this new system, and making sure its fair.

And then having to root out every single potential exploit of a completely new system.

Yes, its "alot of work".

-Ent

Sauur
Chief Marshal
Praetorian Wolves

Posted: 2011-04-23 12:05   
Quote:

On 2011-04-21 17:49, Azreal (Ret) wrote:
That system was a good one for 3 years at least. I was lucky to get in before it was killed. Needed tweaks, not revamping. Things like flux dreads and torp mds were a bad part of the game, and they could have been dealt with without throwing out the whole baby.

But the game has aquired a different "vision" - one away from player customization and options to one of dev control. Time will tell if this is a better system. So far, it doesn't seem to be.

I thoroughly agree with Azreal on this. Not because he is a mate or team mate but because I have never enjoyed this game as much as I did since the 482 version.

It needed tweaks for sure, the flux dreads needed to go and so forth, but it was soooo close to the perfect game.

But then 483 came and all I have done since is hope you could get it back to even a remote level of where 482 was. But you have come nowhere near it. I have finally after many futile years given up.

Generally a game gets better with updates, in this game I am sorry you are stuck with them.

Ya'all take care and good hunting!

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2011-04-23 13:26   
Won't be coming back anytime in the near future, as we've stated on multiple occasions. There is little point discussing it or telling us how much you want it, because we've tried it in the past, and no amount of numbers or weird points system will make it work because DarkSpace is not designed with this type of system in mind.

The balance issues the system causes wrecks havoc with design, and as Ent stated, creates a monumental amount of work for us trying to number crunch the various scenario's that you guys will create for yourselves.

It is one of the most difficult systems to balance, which is why you don't see it outside of games wherein it's been designed from the ground up to include it (Mech Warrior, is one of the very few examples I can think of).

We work hard on the systems that desperately need attention and building upon them to add more fun to the game. Re-working the entire weapons and gadget system from the ground up would add very little to the game because it's already in a state in which we can add more weapons, and other tid-bits to it. Personally you may think it'll add loads, but in the long stretch, all it does is give all players a way to min/max their ships, and we see copy/paste.

Right now we have ship configs, and if one config is too strong, then we can tweak that single ship, and all is fine. Makes our life A LOT easier, which is key when there are so few of you working on it, coupled with the fact that we have limited time to do so.

Again, this will not be returning to DarkSpace anytime soon, or in the future. It was an incredible mess to clear up for those few that remember it. If you have fond memories of it, I'm sorry to tell you that it won't be coming back. For those that are hearing about it now - it may sound cool, but it does very little for the game.

Remember: Rock, Paper, Scissors, not All-In-Wonder.

Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2011-04-23 20:31   
Quote:

On 2011-04-23 07:13, Enterprise wrote:

And having to balance the general theme of each faction against each other with this new system, and making sure its fair.

-Ent

Hasn't happened in seven years, and I have never seen the balance MORE out of whack than I do now. I lose hope now because the mantra and official line is "all is fine", when all is NOT fine.

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
SpaceAdmiral
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-04-23 20:44   
Quote:

On 2011-04-23 20:31, Azreal (Ret) wrote:
Quote:

On 2011-04-23 07:13, Enterprise wrote:

-Ent

Hasn't happened in seven years, and I have never seen the balance MORE out of whack than I do now. I lose hope now because the mantra and official line is "all is fine", when all is NOT fine.

Balance is more out of whack because of numbers. In a strictly pvp game nnumbers have a huge impact, and usually the one with the most numbers win.

Lrd_Hunter
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-04-24 00:14   
Quote:

On 2011-04-23 13:26, BackSlash wrote:
Personally you may think it'll add loads, but in the long stretch, all it does is give all players a way to min/max their ships, and we see copy/paste.

Right now we have ship configs, and if one config is too strong, then we can tweak that single ship, and all is fine. Makes our life A LOT easier, which is key when there are so few of you working on it, coupled with the fact that we have limited time to do so.

Remember: Rock, Paper, Scissors, not All-In-Wonder.

um it already copy and paste......... you see someone doing good with an enh setup everyone goes and buy that set up....alot more unikness back then but whatever. and please tell me how it rock paper and sissors now?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Page created in 0.024093 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR