Welcome aboard Visitor...

Daily Screenshot

Server Costs Target


Target met!

Latest Topics

- Reminiscing »
- Holly Cow Its alive!! »
- Messenger Battle Chat by T-Roy! »
- Getting our Player Base back »
- Fully customizable ships? »
- First Person view is possible in DS! »
- What's with the new Metaverse? »
- Carrier default loadouts - ships w/interceptors only? »
- 01001000 01100101 01101100 01101100 01101111 »
- the mi type ships cheat »

Development Blog

- Roadmap »
- Hello strangers, it’s been a while... »
- State of DarkSpace Development »
- Potential planetary interdictor changes! »
- The Silent Cartographer »
- Cloaking update... »
- Tools for tips »
- Fleet levels and more! »
- Game Mechanics Question and Answer Thread »
- Under Construction »

Combat Kills

Combat kills in last 24 hours:
Kills chart
Killboard

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
08/24/19 +3.3 Days
- International Talk like a Pirate Day!
09/19/19 +28.6 Days
- Towel Day
05/25/20 +277.6 Days

Search

 

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Facebook & Twitter

Why not follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Beta Testing Discussion » » Dreads Still Too Weak
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
 Author Dreads Still Too Weak
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy


Joined: March 23, 2003
Posts: 11180
From: Bristol, England
Posted: 2005-06-02 09:20   
Shields are a little too weak...but the CD is a long range ship, its not a close up anti destroyer ship. Ever wondered WHY it has missiles...not so it can shoot something 200 gu away...
_________________


  Goto the website of BackSlash
Jim Starluck
Marshal
Templar Knights


Joined: October 22, 2001
Posts: 2232
From: Cincinnati, OH
Posted: 2005-06-02 14:24   
Personally, I think one of the major flaws in the system is in using device levels to dictate ship strength. It doesn't work if the little ships can mount the same devices that the bigger ships can.

If, for instance, you restrict Destroyers to level 4 weapons, Cruisers to level 6, and Dreads to level 8, *then* we might be getting somewhere. But as it is, a Dessie with level 8 armor has the EXACT same survivability as a Dread with level 8 armor, which Just Doesn't Work. Same thing with weapons, engines, and reactors.

I remember Tael saying that power would be the main limiting factor...but it isn't. A Dessie can mount a level 8 reactor, same as a Dread, which lets it mount the same level weapons and defenses as a Dread. Combined with superior maneuverability, this makes the Destroyer overpowered.

What would be interesting is if ships were limited to what levels of device they could mount...but modified by faction. Say, UGTO and K'luth can mount Level 6 armor on their Cruisers...ICC could mount level 7 armor & Shields. ICC & UGTO get Level 4 weapons for their Dessies, but K'luth get Level 5.

Modding is good, but it can't be TOO open...
_________________
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger space battleship and try again.

  Email Jim Starluck
Bobamelius
Grand Admiral
Galactic Navy


Joined: October 08, 2002
Posts: 2073
Posted: 2005-06-02 14:29   
Thank you Jim.
_________________


BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy


Joined: March 23, 2003
Posts: 11180
From: Bristol, England
Posted: 2005-06-02 14:31   
I actualy agree to this...

Scouts level 0
Frigates level 2
Destroyers level 4
Cruisers level 6
Dreads level 8
Stations 8+

Obviously some things like jump drives wouldnt be effected by this, but for the majority of armour and weapons..I think a system like this could work..
_________________


  Goto the website of BackSlash
Enterprise
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy


Joined: May 19, 2002
Posts: 2576
Posted: 2005-06-02 14:51   
Freelancer. Perfect example.



-Ent



_________________


Novacat
Grand Admiral

Joined: October 30, 2001
Posts: 2337
From: Starleague Cache
Posted: 2005-06-02 18:30   
Quote:

I actualy agree to this...



Only because I did not suggest it?
_________________
Ghostly Specter of an Ancient Past.

  Goto the website of Novacat   ICQ status
Dwarden
Admiral
CHIMERA

Joined: Jun 07, 2001
Posts: 1072
From: Czech Republic
Posted: 2005-06-02 19:03   
well u need at least allow l1 to scout if u want restrict something at all ...

scout will be worthless w/o uprading ...

but i still some ratio factor based on hull will be nicer ... for both ammo and e.g. power drain etc ...
_________________

... Ideas? ... that's Ocean w/o borders !

  ICQ status
Thorium
Grand Admiral

Joined: August 05, 2004
Posts: 185
Posted: 2005-06-02 20:16   
um i beleave that armor already is scailed to hull size.... so lvl 8 on a dread does not = lvl 8 on a destroyer
_________________


Lonectzn
Fleet Admiral

Joined: January 06, 2005
Posts: 202
Posted: 2005-06-02 21:01   
Frigs with lvl2 armour and no hull are expected to get prestige against your lvl8 dreads? Gimme a break.

High level armour is the _only_ thing that stops frigs/dessy popping into pretty fragments any time a lvl8 ship appears on the scene. It seems you think that all other ships should become useless when your pwning dread comes on the scene, because you earned it and deserve the kills.

If you want to modify armour, for goodness sake just tweak the hull modifier.

And again, to those who think that just because you can't so easily kill a dessy that dreads are weak: You are meant to be able to avoid dreads in a dessy. Dessy is fast, you are slow. You are going to have trouble catching it, unless you mod up to best counter it. HOWEVER in a lvl8 modded dread, if you do get close to it and tractor it, you can do a lot of damage. Meanwhile, the dessy doesn't have the firepower to really be that much of a threat. So you're both, alone, not very good at killing eachother.

What they are looking at I think is making a need for dessy/cruiser support. Remember the homeworld series? In that also and most other space based games, a lone dread (or their equivalent) is mincemeat for small ships. The best fleet is a balanced fleet.

Not only that, it's a little early to be calling for restrictions when we still don't even have upgrading. I'm guessing those lvl8 assault ruptors and HCL are going to have some nice range and damage. Not to mention lvl8 PFE giving you the energy you need. Or perhaps lvl8 gauss could actually snipe effectively. Then you've got lvl8 ablative/reflective, lvl8 active.

We're really only testing the basics at the moment. All we really have is cannons, torps and beams. Once we can actually upgrade parts, then you'll start to see the food chain form and have a look at levels again.
_________________


  ICQ status
Novacat
Grand Admiral

Joined: October 30, 2001
Posts: 2337
From: Starleague Cache
Posted: 2005-06-02 21:13   
Quote:

High level armour is the _only_ thing that stops frigs/dessy popping into pretty fragments any time a lvl8 ship appears on the scene. It seems you think that all other ships should become useless when your pwning dread comes on the scene, because you earned it and deserve the kills.



Exactly.

Quote:

What they are looking at I think is making a need for dessy/cruiser support. Remember the homeworld series? In that also and most other space based games, a lone dread (or their equivalent) is mincemeat for small ships. The best fleet is a balanced fleet.



Darkspace is not Homeworld. Darkspace is not World War II.

Quote:

And again, to those who think that just because you can't so easily kill a dessy that dreads are weak: You are meant to be able to avoid dreads in a dessy. Dessy is fast, you are slow. You are going to have trouble catching it, unless you mod up to best counter it. HOWEVER in a lvl8 modded dread, if you do get close to it and tractor it, you can do a lot of damage. Meanwhile, the dessy doesn't have the firepower to really be that much of a threat. So you're both, alone, not very good at killing eachother.



I was not trying to chase a Destroyer. I was trying to survive against it.

Quote:

We're really only testing the basics at the moment. All we really have is cannons, torps and beams. Once we can actually upgrade parts, then you'll start to see the food chain form and have a look at levels again.



Ill wait till the level system. However, I still feel it is a mistake that everything hinges on the level system.
_________________
Ghostly Specter of an Ancient Past.

  Goto the website of Novacat   ICQ status
Bobamelius
Grand Admiral
Galactic Navy


Joined: October 08, 2002
Posts: 2073
Posted: 2005-06-02 21:16   
Quote:

On 2005-06-02 20:16, Thorium wrote:
um i beleave that armor already is scailed to hull size.... so lvl 8 on a dread does not = lvl 8 on a destroyer



I've heard that it's supposed to, but experience seems to suggest otherwise. I don't know if this doesn't work, or is not implemented, or was never implemented in the first place.
_________________


Novacat
Grand Admiral

Joined: October 30, 2001
Posts: 2337
From: Starleague Cache
Posted: 2005-06-02 21:18   
In addition, ill challenge anyone and everyone. You in a Kluth/ICC Dreadnought. Me in a UGTO Assualt Destroyer.
_________________
Ghostly Specter of an Ancient Past.

  Goto the website of Novacat   ICQ status
Bobamelius
Grand Admiral
Galactic Navy


Joined: October 08, 2002
Posts: 2073
Posted: 2005-06-02 21:38   
Quote:

On 2005-06-02 14:31, Kratos wrote:
I actualy agree to this...

Scouts level 0
Frigates level 2
Destroyers level 4
Cruisers level 6
Dreads level 8
Stations 8+

Obviously some things like jump drives wouldnt be effected by this, but for the majority of armour and weapons..I think a system like this could work..




Maybe something more like this?

Scouts: 2
Frigates: 3
Destroyers: 4
Cruisers: 6
Dreads: 8
Stations: 8+

Basically the first major gap is between Dessies and Cruisers, than between Cruisers and Dreads.

It would effect reactors, as logically the amount of power it can produce directly correlates with the space it takes up, so bigger ships could have bigger reactors.

It would also effect engines, not in maximum speed but again, in energy generation due to size constraints.

Jump drives don't necessarily have to be effected at all (fuel) since the different hull types already consume different amounts of fuel to scale.

And of course, armor and weapon levels are the primary target of this idea. Also, Jimmy's faction modifiers would be cool, too.
_________________


Dempster
Grand Admiral

Joined: August 03, 2003
Posts: 668
Posted: 2005-06-04 18:03   
well if this is the case you wont see many people pilotting dreads, hell why bother introducing this into release, it would be the same thing, destroyers running around killing stupid dreads and stations
_________________


Fatal Rocko Willis
Fleet Admiral
Fatal Squadron


Joined: March 01, 2003
Posts: 1336
From: Kentucky
Posted: 2005-06-04 22:38   
I like the idea of limiting the level a ship can use..... and agree with Boba about what level each ship class could use...

I mean if L8 is being considered a "Dreadnaught Class" weapon should a Frigate be able to mount one? A L8 fusion torp would be expected to be a huge torpedeo.... it would take alot of space... would a frigate really have the hull space to mount it along with all the rest of the stuff it has?

It is a sound idea...

Big Ships = Big Weapons...

Small Ships = Smaller Weapons...

How hard is that to understand....
_________________


  Email Fatal Rocko Willis
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Page created in 0.032485 seconds.


Copyright © 2000 - 2019 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR