- Towel Day
05/25/17 +26.1 Days
- International Talk like a Pirate Day!
09/19/17 +143.1 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Facebook & Twitter

Why not follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

[FAQ
Forum Index » » * Development Blog * » » State of DarkSpace Development
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
 Author State of DarkSpace Development
Bardiche
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2016-06-12 08:31   
Quote:
On 2016-05-23 22:03, Faustus wrote:
Hey guys, please check the news...

Neat, it's open source. Thanks for being willing to take that step, Faustus.

Obviously, like other veteran players, I still love the game. Unfortunately, like other veteran players, I have a limited skillset that doesn't mesh well with DarkSpace's current needs profile.

I still think every now and again about DarkSpace. How to generate revenue (ship skins for $$$), or how to emphasise an objective-based gameplay pattern, even how to balance the ships so new players versus veteran players is more even, or maybe even how matchmade games might be interesting... but the last one is just completely counter to DarkSpace's mission and intent.

And all of my thinking is as pointless as a sieve to hold water.

I hope the change to opensource will indeed encourage people to contribute more code and modernise the game. I look forward to playing DarkSpace again.
[ This Message was edited by: Bardiche on 2016-06-12 08:32 ]

JBud
Marshal

Posted: 2016-10-09 06:03   
So, I'm still a programmer, and I'd love to help again. Hit me up, Jack, I believe we are still friends on Facebook. F and I are too, so you could hit me up. I'll also check back in a bit later.

''Insisto Rector - Suivez le Guide - Tempus hostium est''

Email JBud   Goto the website of JBud
novaflare
Midshipman

Posted: 2016-10-21 20:20   
What i found when trying to get my own game project off the ground is this. Finding artists 3d 2d concept music people etc is pretty easy. But finding a programmer even a single one who is willing to put time and effort in to something even when a major company has stated in writing that once you get to point x they will fully fund the project is nearly impossible. I had a legally binding contract with a major company who produced computer hardware who stated they would not only fund for tools hardware and all that but also pay salaries in the amounts stated. And i still found no programmers. But other than that i had a full staff of around 15 people working on the project had tons of models ready to be animated with full textures. Sound track back story sound effects skills list trees calculations for the primary testing phases etc all ready to go in what ever engine we used or made.

in the end the project failed for lack of programmers. Thankfully you all already have a code base to work with with a working client server etc. That makes it a bit easier to find programmers. You all will get there i suspect. This game is 13+ years old.

Any ways im sure some remember me from beta. i was novaflare and nova back then good to see the old games still kicking.

Azreal (KLuth Lives Matter!)
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2016-12-06 15:18   
This game needs at minimum to be migrated to a modern, wider known game engine. As it is, it will not survive. I really believe if we were to move assets to a game engine like UE or Unity, and just redo the coding, we would be better off. Its work, yes, but not as hard as it sounds. These engines are widely known, user friendly, have hours of tutorials and add-ons, and are constantly updated. The templates get you a long way to fast too. And the pool of potential contributors is huge.

As it is, I don't see anymore updates ever happening. Thats not a knock against the team of volunteers. Its about the life left in the game. A migration project would breath new life back into this game.

my opinion.

Email Azreal (KLuth Lives Matter!)   Goto the website of Azreal (KLuth Lives Matter!)
*Flash*
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2016-12-29 15:47   
Quote:
On 2016-12-06 15:18, Azreal wrote:
This game needs at minimum to be migrated to a modern, wider known game engine. As it is, it will not survive. I really believe if we were to move assets to a game engine like UE or Unity, and just redo the coding, we would be better off. Its work, yes, but not as hard as it sounds. These engines are widely known, user friendly, have hours of tutorials and add-ons, and are constantly updated. The templates get you a long way to fast too. And the pool of potential contributors is huge.

As it is, I don't see anymore updates ever happening. Thats not a knock against the team of volunteers. Its about the life left in the game. A migration project would breath new life back into this game.

my opinion.

agree with you here , it hasnt been any update for 2 years or more . I barely ser 2 or 3 ppl playing the game so something new has to be done !

In space , no one can hear you scream!

Email *Flash*
Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2017-01-24 18:37   
Quote:
On 2016-12-06 15:18, Azreal wrote:

my opinion.

The blueprint system in UE4 is nice, but the engine is still very immature (regardless of its adoption rate, if you look at their development schedule they discuss rewriting multiple parts of it); and whilst Unity is arguably easier to use, there's a reason no-one has used it successfully to create an MMO (performance). UE4 would probably be the best bet, but there's a reason very few if any studios ever change game engines; you essentially have to rewrite the entirety of your codebase. Forget copy-pasting or even using old code as a reference (past numbers at least), everything has to go - time to start from scratch. It is exactly as hard as it sounds.
[ This Message was edited by: Pantheon on 2017-01-24 18:38 ]

BlackYoup
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2017-03-18 08:05   
Quote:
On 2017-01-24 18:37, Pantheon wrote:
It is exactly as hard as it sounds.

Yeah, well, so is the onboarding when you want to contribute to the game (IMHO). There are a few people here and there ready to contribute and give time (myself included) but it's kinda hard to do so, especially when you don't know what to do or what have to be done.

From my (rather small) experience as a developer, I always enjoy rewriting not-easy-to-maintain software, or software that has derived from its original ideas / goals. And with that, you know where to go and what to do, what were the troubles you had the first time and it allows you to go faster.

I'm in no rights to tell you to change the whole code base since I don't know it nor I have studied it. But my feeling is that a rewrite would allow to use modern technologies, could be cross-platform (I couldn't make the server work on GNU/Linux after multiple hours trying) and hopefully, bring new / old people back.

But maybe you don't want to put any more efforts in it and that would be totally understandable, given the awesome work you already did. Nonetheless, it makes me sad to come here every 6 months to see that the game I used to play when I was a teenager don't progress anymore and that a few people are still IN to contribute and give it a second breath.

PS: Also, I'm still following an other game I used to play, warzone2100: the game has been "abandoned" by the original studio but put opensource in 2004 and it's still under development (I see pull requests / new commits here and there). It's quite old (first release in April 1999) and some parts has been rewritten since then, but I find its story is quite the same as darkspace: https://github.com/Warzone2100/warzone2100

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )