Welcome aboard Visitor...

Daily Screenshot

Server Costs Target


59% of target met.

Latest Topics

- Holly Cow Its alive!! »
- How did Darkspace loose it's customers? »
- "GCQL MFC stopped working" when launching the app »
- Re: Ich verabschiede mich »
- Things Dark Space needs to Address »
- other games ? »
- Random Lobby Quotes »
- Credits »
- When to play? »
- A few years ago »

Development Blog

- State of DarkSpace Development »
- Potential planetary interdictor changes! »
- The Silent Cartographer »
- Cloaking update... »
- Tools for tips »
- Fleet levels and more! »
- Game Mechanics Question and Answer Thread »
- Under Construction »
- Ship Tiers and You »
- Give Credits feature now live! »

Combat Kills

Combat kills in last 24 hours:
Kills chart
Killboard

Upcoming Events

- International Talk like a Pirate Day!
09/19/17 Now
- Weekly DarkSpace
09/21/17 +1.9 Days
- Towel Day
05/25/18 +247.2 Days

Search

 

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Facebook & Twitter

Why not follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

[FAQ
Forum Index » » * Development Blog * » » Game Mechanics Question and Answer Thread
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
 Author Game Mechanics Question and Answer Thread
*FTL*Soulless
Marshal

Joined: June 25, 2010
Posts: 787
From: Dres-Kona
Posted: 2012-06-01 21:50   
Before the map change how was it decided where an entity would spawn and what type?

Also just for giggles is are they going to be readded?
_________________
We are Back from the shadows.


  Email *FTL*Soulless
Shigernafy
Admiral

Joined: May 29, 2001
Posts: 5726
From: The Land of Taxation without Representation
Posted: 2012-06-10 22:34   
Quote:

On 2012-06-01 21:50, Soulless. wrote:
Before the map change how was it decided where an entity would spawn and what type?

Also just for giggles is are they going to be readded?




23:28:10 Shigernafy: "my inability to load the resourcer prevents me from verifying this or making sure all the details are included"
23:29:55 Shigernafy: "but the short answer is that we basically add "spawners" to the map; they're set to a certain coordinate and then you can specify frequency of triggering a spawn"
23:30:49 Shigernafy: "and then whenever that trigger occurs, what things to pick from to spawn, as well as the odds of them spawning. So you could say every minute, there's a 50% chance of a gaifen, 10% chance of an EE, and 90% of a bowl of petunias"
23:31:28 Shigernafy: "and then you also set a radius, so whatever shows up does so somewhere randomly within that zone defined by the radius and the coordinates"
23:32:07 Shigernafy: "I don't think they were removed because we didn't want gaifen.. more that the map didn't have them and nobody bothered to add them"
_________________
* [S.W]AdmBito @55321 Sent \"I dunno; the French had a few missteps. But they're on the right track, one headbutt at a time.\"

  Email Shigernafy
Shigernafy
Admiral

Joined: May 29, 2001
Posts: 5726
From: The Land of Taxation without Representation
Posted: 2012-06-10 22:35   
Quote:

On 2012-05-22 07:33, Brahmastra wrote:
what does the deathbeam actually do?



It does death!
_________________
* [S.W]AdmBito @55321 Sent \"I dunno; the French had a few missteps. But they're on the right track, one headbutt at a time.\"

  Email Shigernafy
Shigernafy
Admiral

Joined: May 29, 2001
Posts: 5726
From: The Land of Taxation without Representation
Posted: 2012-06-10 22:49   
Quote:

On 2012-05-22 07:33, Brahmastra wrote:
how do MI ships decide that its time to deathbeam some poor shipyard planet?
what does the deathbeam actually do?




I can't seem to find the AI code to determine what the prioritization code looks like. But the beam is basically just all types of damage wrapped into a thin stream of genocide. It is classified as a bomb weapon, so the AI will use it against planets (though technically it can be used on players too, or even as PD). And when it is used, it just causes a lot of BIO damage (killing population) and PLANET damage (damaging structures).

I'll update this post to answer the first question whenever I can find the answer. (Though generally speaking, I think it just happens to be on certain ships and when those ships are spawned, the AI tries to find targets. Since it has a bomb weapon on board, planets are fair game. And I think higher stats on planets makes them more appealing for AI attacks of any sort, death beam or no.)

UPDATE: From what I can tell of the AI prioritization code, all ships basically calculate a "value" for all potential targets in their zone. For Planets, this starts with a basic value calculation and then there are a handful of modifiers that apply based on some details of the target. But the basic calculation starts with: baseValue() + (population() * 1000) + (structureCount() * 5000).

Then this value is subtracted by half the distance to the planet, so that Terrans far far away don't have time wasted on them when tasty Barrens are nearby.

Then three multipliers are added to the planet being evaluated: first, if the planet is already in the process of being captured by the AI faction, it gets a 10x value bonus. Second, if it is blockaded, it gets a 1.5x bonus. And if it has a shipyard, it gets a double bonus.

Then basically the best planet by that score wins.

Got it?
[ This Message was edited by: Shigernafy on 2012-06-10 23:06 ]
_________________
* [S.W]AdmBito @55321 Sent \"I dunno; the French had a few missteps. But they're on the right track, one headbutt at a time.\"

  Email Shigernafy
Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights


Joined: May 11, 2010
Posts: 2038
From: Michigan
Posted: 2012-06-10 23:29   
Quote:

On 2012-06-10 22:49, Shigernafy wrote:
And when it is used, it just causes a lot of BIO damage (killing population) and PLANET damage (damaging structures).



It doesn't seem to damage structures anymore, all it does is wipe the population. Could something have broken in the code?
_________________
Adapt or die.

Forger of Destiny
Chief Marshal
We Kick Arse


Joined: October 10, 2009
Posts: 826
Posted: 2012-06-11 03:04   
damage to structures would happen if the beam impacts a structure.

most of the structures are built on the top or bottom. only unlucky solar generators or random moving infantry would get hit.
_________________
Forging legends and lives outside till naught remains inside.


Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Chatting in 'DarkSpace English'

Joined: May 19, 2002
Posts: 2574
From: Macclenny, Florida
Posted: 2012-06-11 18:39   
Quote:

Then basically the best planet by that score wins.




Or rather, loses.




-Ent
_________________


Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Joined: April 25, 2003
Posts: 4058
Posted: 2012-06-11 21:58   
A strange game, the only winning move is not to be a planet
_________________


µOmniVore
Grand Admiral

Joined: September 13, 2006
Posts: 171
Posted: 2012-06-17 11:49   
my question is, is it better to fire all weapons at once3 or steam them in a series of attacks

_________________
When we fail to dream we fail as a society.




  Email µOmniVore
Forger of Destiny
Chief Marshal
We Kick Arse


Joined: October 10, 2009
Posts: 826
Posted: 2012-06-18 10:41   
what are the AoE damage ranges for the 11 types of missiles?

when calculating damage done to planet shields by bombs, is the PD% of the planet also taken into account?
[ This Message was edited by: Raje on 2012-06-19 03:23 ]

_________________
Forging legends and lives outside till naught remains inside.


Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Joined: April 25, 2003
Posts: 4058
Posted: 2012-06-18 23:00   
Quote:

On 2012-06-17 11:49, µOmniVore wrote:
my question is, is it better to fire all weapons at once3 or steam them in a series of attacks





What defines "better" for you?
_________________


Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Joined: April 25, 2003
Posts: 4058
Posted: 2012-06-18 23:08   
Quote:

On 2012-06-18 10:41, Raje wrote:
what are the AoE damage ranges for the 11 types of missiles?




Tier 1:

Anti-Radar: 1750 + rand(900), splash of 14 gu radius
Peregrine: 2090 + rand(1040), splash of 14 gu radius
Sparrow: 2340 + rand(1210), splash of 16 gu radus


Tier 2:

Raptor : 3500 + rand(1800) , splash of 18 gu radius
Ion Tracker: 4150 + rand(2200), splash of 19 gu radius
Pheonix: 4400 + rand(2400), splash of 20 gu radius


Tier 3:

Linear Drive: 7000 + rand(3600), splash of 21 gu radus
Proton Cruise: 7800 + rand(4000), splash of 22 gu radius
Harpex: 8500 + rand(4300), splash of 23 gu radius


K'luth

Psionic: (Level * 1900) + rand(Level * 1900), splash of 8 + (level * 1.25) gu radius
Shroud: 250 + (level * 1350) + rand(250 + (Level * 1350) ), splash of 10 + (level * 1.5) gu radus

[ This Message was edited by: Fattierob on 2012-06-18 23:09 ]

_________________


Subtilizer
Grand Admiral
Faster than Light


Joined: February 20, 2010
Posts: 122
Posted: 2012-06-20 13:39   
Does a collision with a planet affect the killed stat?
_________________


Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights


Joined: May 11, 2010
Posts: 2038
From: Michigan
Posted: 2012-06-20 14:49   
Go into beta and ram a planet to find out.
_________________
Adapt or die.

Shigernafy
Admiral

Joined: May 29, 2001
Posts: 5726
From: The Land of Taxation without Representation
Posted: 2012-06-20 21:08   
It kills you, doesn't it?

Kills doesn't count against you; Planet Collisions does. So there's no harm in "double counting." Kills includes every death, no matter the cause.
_________________
* [S.W]AdmBito @55321 Sent \"I dunno; the French had a few missteps. But they're on the right track, one headbutt at a time.\"

  Email Shigernafy
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Page created in 0.041659 seconds.


Copyright © 2000 - 2017 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR